Chamonix or Schilthorn?

Jan 28th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Ned

Chamonix or Schilthorn?

Has anybody out there done the lifts to both the Aguille Du Midi in Chamonix and the Schilthorn in the Berner Oberland. If you had to pick one, which is better?

Jan 28th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Bill Fleites

Ned,
I have visited both of these sights, and although I liked the Schilthorn very much, the Aiguille du Midi was far more thrilling an experience for me. At Aiguille du Midi you get up higher and much closer to the mountains. On the Mont Blanc observation deck I felt as if I could just reach out and touch the mountain. The ride up to the peak is amazing as you see the town of Chamonix minituarize in front of your very eyes. Also at Aiguille du Midi you can take the telecabines over the Vallee Blanch glacier to Hellbronner Point where they stop the cabins and let you dangle over the glacier for what seems like ages. Then from Hellbronner point you can take another gondola ride down into Italy (bring your passport). If you'd like to read my travelogue, or see pictures of my trip to Aiguille di Midi just go to my homepage at: http://www.gatortravels.com/
Have a great time.

Jan 28th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Patrick

Bill has explained it very well, and I agree. Aguille Du Midi is thrilling, Schilthorn is spectacular, but not as "thrilling".

Jan 28th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Ed

For just an afternoon one >>might<< pick the Chamonix visit. The Aiguille du Midi isn't so spectacular, but if you take the cable across the Vallee Blanche you have an interesting spectacle crossing the glacier and entering Italy. On the other hand, it's a Long, long ride, and much of the interest goes away after the first 5 minutes.

The Schilthorn has about as excellent, and "in your face" a view of a lovely range of peaks as you can find anywhere.

If this is only a half-day visit you're looking at choose the one that will be closest to where you are otherwise, and that involves the least trouble getting to/from.

If you'll be spending more than half a day, the Jungfrau region is the best choice you can make in Europe for mountains. More to do, more to see, easier access to mountaintops and top-notch views than anywhere else.

For some ideas of what's in the area beginning at www.twenj.com/bovisit.htm

Ed

Search this Thread