Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Central Europe - Do you need reservations in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to rent a car and travel without a really set itinerary to Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, and the like, in the month of June. Is it necessary to have all our hotels booked ahead of time and therefore, a set schedule? or is it possible to just have a route in mind and be casual with how many days we spend at each place?
We're just not sure how busy things get in June (1st three weeks most likely) compared to the full summer months.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM

No need to worry, it gets expensive in mid July/August. In August, if you want to save some money, you'd better stay home.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Berlin isn't even expensive in August!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM

You mention large cities "and the like." If so (small towns and countryside being of no particular interest), it might be best to travel via public transportation. Keep in mind that you are paying for the car and parking while staying in the city where you do not need a car. If taking a car, check that you can take your car from Germany to the Czech Republic, possibly Slovakia and then Poland. You presumably will do a round trip. Cross-border drop-offs are very expensive.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Actually we do want to see the smaller towns as well - that's why we figured on renting a car. I just mentioned the big cities so you'd have an idea of where we were travelling. We already discovered that some rental companies will not let you take their cars into eastern countries so that may be what changes our choices. The trains seem to be very expensive compared to some trips we've taken in Italy a few years ago. Has train travel become more expensive?