central but tranquil Marmaris hotel

Jan 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

central but tranquil Marmaris hotel

We are looking for a quiet centrally located hotel in Marmaris, without activities, many families and noise, but close to nice restaurants and the castle. Beach not important though. Last year in Bodrum we stayed at Su Hotel, and it was ideal; we are hoping for a similiar place in Marmaris. Ideas?
Jan 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM

This may not be very helpful to you but i hope you will reconsider your choice:

Marmaris is not like Bodrum, and although i am not sure, i doubt that you will find a hotel like Su in Marmaris.

Marmaris is a cheaper, much more crowded resort appealing to different types of local and foreign tourists than Bodrum.

If i can convince you to consider alternatives, i will recommend that you check:

1. Kas. not so crowded, more scenic, better restaurants, more sights to visit within easy reach by sea or road.

2. Fethiye. More scenic. more of a local active town, again more options for sightseeing, good restaurants.

3. Cesme/Ilica/Alacati. Excellent boutique hotels, excellent restaurants. other similarities to bodrum in terms of being an upscale in-place, but with facilities for all budgets. Some antique locations and its own castle.

4. Datca. large peninsula off Marmaris with some boutique hotels (we stayed at Chateau Triopia and liked it, although needs rental car for good restaurants on lovely bays) some antiquity. I prefer the thistle and oregano honeys of the area to the honeydew of Marmaris. the bays are usually frequented by yatchers. Check Hayit Buku, Palamut Buku, Bozburun.

the above numbering system is not a ranking as the locations are very different from each other and we enjoyed all of them a number of times for different reasons in the past.
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

otherchelebi, you are indeed an "angel". You gave me much good advice for my last year's trip to Turkey (I added Hattushas and Urfa and loved both) so I'll research your most recent advice. thanks.
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks humanone, i do not resemble an angel much (check my profile photo) but who knows, maybe will become one once i find and spread my wings. (Aduchamp and Colduphere and Tower may disagree, if i do not say that they also are in the same possibly angelic group of Fodorites)

We had a very different type of short holiday in part of that area and recorded our adventures on the "fumbling family......." report, which you may enjoy reading. here is a short travel essay on hatit Buku Datca:

"I gave away a spare rib recipe under the shade of the trees reaching towards the sea. Eser fed two cats and two kittens before lounging on the beach. The food on and inside the oven in the kitchens, prepared for the so far unseen visitors, started my mouth watering. Stuart drifted towards our table as a British flag appeared at the tip of the peninsula.

It was probably the same calm on the beach before the pirate ship turned into the harbour so many thousands of years ago.

The owner of the restaurant is the only remnant of that pirate ship. She is possibly the aging captain who decided to take over the looted restaurant and instructed her offspring or maybe the first mate to follow the family profession.

I think she has two maybe three separate menus with different prices, one for pirates, one for traders and tax men, and possibly one for travelers misguidedly trying to make it to Cnidos before the occupying hordes reach it, or the earthquake destroys it.

There were also some mathematicians and one or two famous artists in Triopia who used to visit this cove. Unfortunately they passed away during last summer’s heat wave because of the lack of nearby healthcare."

October, 2008
Jan 16th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Are you an author as well as a respondant to Fodor? I know you went to school with (or are friends with) Parmuk, who my husband is teaching in his college English class. I love your slightly sardonic slant!
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks humanone. Pamuk and i went to the same school but he was some years after me.

I have published only one book, "dreams and perception" or "dusler ve gorusler" . i am currently working on my second one. The first had only 14 pieces in English, this one will be totally in english.

I am sorry for yor husband's students. -)

Actually, the translator of Pamuk, Maureen Freely, did a terrific job and deserved more of a recogntion than was given to her.

you can send me a PM on the book address at, [email protected]