Centeral Switzerland

Search

Centeral Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centeral Switzerland

How best to utilize a 5-day stay in central Switzerland during 15-20 March. Any recommendations on where to move around and where to lodge?
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:29 AM
jmw

Hi Yildy: Driving or training?

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:00 AM

yildy, <BR>The best hub to move around (walk, train, car) is Lucerne. The famous fasnacht is over (they are real crazy), spring is in the air, but the tourist crowds are not yet here. Perfect.<BR><BR>What do you plan on spending for lodging? You can have about everything in Lucerne. From a former jailhouse to the superbe 5-stars with lake view.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:02 AM

Hey Ursula, this jailhouse thing sounds like an interesting theme. We're staying in the former jailhouse in Basel (Hotel Violon)-- at your suggestion, I believe. What's the one in Lucerne?
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Patrick, the one in Lucerne is much more basic (more hostel like) than Au Violon. <BR><BR>I'll try to find its web site, which is cool though.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Ha, here it is: It's called L&ouml;wengraben (lions pit). ;o)<BR><BR>www.loewengraben.ch<BR><BR>Not sure you would be that happy there, Patrick.<BR>It's not like the Kindli. ;o)
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Jmw, thanks, the option is by car...
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:48 AM

I don't know Ursula. Just looked at the website. The two suites look wonderful, but no prices are given. And the whole place really is intriquing -- love their names for the rooms. The restuarant also is certainly attractive. Not staying in Lucerne this summer, but if I were I think I might consider it, especially if a little less money that my usual choice of Des Alpes.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Patrick, the room link, that used to work, doesn't work right now. <BR>I agree, that the two suites do look nice. But the regular rooms are very basic, real cells. At least from what you could see on the web. Maybe, you try again, once you know, you will be back in Lucerne. <BR><BR>Anyway, what I just read, is, that they offer sort of wellness-weekends in the jailhouse (no sleeping in, healthy food, physical exercise, etc.!). <BR>The programme sounds really interesting. However, it's only in German, I think.<BR>Well, one has to be inventive these days to attract people.<BR><BR>Location is great, as well. I wonder, why all these jailhouses were built in the middle of all at that times.<BR><BR>Anyway, let us know, if ever you should stay there.<BR><BR>Now, where is yildy?
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Hey Ursula, very much around. Liked the debate on the jailhouse...Since I will be moving around by car, I am flexible to stay near or far...normally upto CHF100 should be reasonable. By the way no one sharing thoughts on where to go?
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Where to go? Depends on what you are interested in.<BR><BR>Lucerne itself is good for one or two days. And enjoy a trip by paddle steamer on the lake.<BR><BR>The Baroque monastery in Einsiedeln is not to miss. Splendid.<BR><BR>You should go up on a mountain at least one day. Maybe Engelberg/Mt. Titlis or Pilatus (from Kriens, a suburb of Lucerne). A combination of boat/cog-railway trip via Vitznau up to the Rigi mountain is very enjoyable as well.<BR><BR>You also can watch cheesemaking in Seewen near Schwyz. Or visit the &quot;Glasi&quot; in Hergiswil (handmade glass) and the Alphorn factory and museum in Kriens ( Alphornbau, J Stocker, Schweighof, CH-6010 Kriens,www.alphorn.com/index.html).<BR><BR>Ingo
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 03:24 PM
jmw

And how about the outdoor museum at Ballenburg near Brienz?

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, thanks and appreciate....