Search

cellphone

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cellphone

Does anyone know if Sprint cells that are GMS work in London and Paris?
Thanks
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM

Here is what a phone needs to work in Europe:

900/1800 mHz frequencies
GSM technology
A Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) for a European network
To use another carrier's SIM, the phone's SIM lock must be OFF

Some Sprint GSM phones may work; others won't. What is the make and model of yours?

<b>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_ranges
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock</b>
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:00 AM

Here's some more (from sprint.com):

<b>http://tinyurl.com/ctofh</b>
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:18 PM

To the best of my knowledge, and I am a Sprint customer, they only have one phone available that will work in Europe.

The phone is a Samsung, I believe, and it is about $600, depending on the rebate they are giving.

This is the last information the Sprint rep gave me about two weeks ago.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:29 PM

Sher, if you will go to <b>http://tinyurl.com/ctofh</b>, you will find that Sprint sells several phones for European service, the cheapest of which is the Nokia 3120 for $195.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM

Is Sprint a GSM carrier? The Nokia 3120 is a GSM phone....
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM

We have Verizon, and our phones didn't work, so we rented a phone thru them and it was great. I think it ended up costing $200 for about 4 weeks. You just pay for the calls you make, I THINK. Sorry I don't remember the details.
But, phone cards are very cheap and easy to use. If you don't need a phone, I'd say skip it. (we needed one due to my husband's new job)
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:58 PM

Unless I'm wrong I believe any quad band phone will work in Europe whether your cell phone co. is Sprint, Verizon, Cingular, etc. We took our phones and chose to buy their (expensive) calling plan. We had int'l. roaming already. When I split up from my family I used a combination of a phone card and my cell phone. The phone card I used from the hotel room as it seemed cheaper to call that way than to use my cell phone.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Robespierre. Thank you. I guess I was asking them about a phone I could use both here and in Europe.

And then, you don't always get people at those places who really know what they are talking about.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:08 AM

I don't think a tri- or quad-band phone is worth the investment unless you commute between Paris and Peoria. Since this stuff tends to become obsolete in a year, my strategy is to get a cheap Europe-only phone (my present one cost &pound;20 including &pound;5 airtime I got at Virgin Mobile in Piccadilly Circus) and sell it when I get home.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Spoken like a true consumer, Robes!
I bought my GSM phone from Amazon.com at least 3 years ago, and it <i>still works</i>!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:32 AM

We prefer to not buy and sell phones that's the reason we decided on quad band phones.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I would agree one size doesn't necessarily fit all....

A lot of the kind of phone you wish to get would have something to do with your carrier.

Assuming you are from the USA, if your provider is Verizon or another non GSM carrier, your best bet is probably a very simple dual band (900/1800) which was described as Europe only. Actually, it would work throughout most of the civilized and non civilized world except for North America and Japan.

If your US carrier is T mobile, a tri band (900,1800,1900) would do if you wish to use the same phone here and there. In that case, a more sophisticated phone might be one you wish to get.

If your US carrier is Cingular, for best results you would probably want a quad band (850/900/1800/1900)as you need both 850 and 1900 to use Cingular in the US and really should have both 900 and 1800 to be sure of getting a signal throughout Europe.

But obsolete? Phones don't become obsolete....the same cheap GSM dual band phone you got in 1998 to use in Europe will still work perfectly throughout most of the world today. My own feeling is that when on holiday, I really don't need as the whistles. I simply need a simple instrument to make and receive calls and to make and receive text message. Having the camera on the phone is nice as I can send some pictures as multi media message back to friends right on the spot if you will.

But the beauty of GSM, and this is where the US missed the boat a while ago, is the simplicity of switching the sim card and changing the phone from say a UK phone to a French phone etc.

What hopefully will be coming down are the roaming rates and the rip offs they are. It has started a bit what with riiing. I would believe that in the not too distant future, carrying a mobile phone with you when travelling will be as natural as carrying an international credit card.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM

To me, it makes more sense to continuously upgrade cheap phones than it does to get an expensive one and amortize it for several years. The outlay is the same over time, but I always have the latest technology instead of an aging phone I don't want to let go of because of what I have invested in it.

So if, for example, I want to switch to a PDA phone with built-in GPS and movie camera, the smaller amount I have invested in my current phone makes it easier to walk away from it.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:09 AM

I agree with you for my main phone but then again perhaps you and I are technology types who want the latest and greatest.

As noted, the nice thing about GSM is once you unlock the phone, it can serve as your phone wherever you are.

But most people simply want a phone for their yearly trip to Europe or someplace else in the world. For them, it is probably not that important they have the latest etc. They simply want something they can use whether it be for simply emergencies or as an actual phone to make dinner reservations, call friends, receive calls etc.

But it always reminds me of the time several years ago a friend came to me and I helped him decide on a computer figuration with all the latest stuff. And of course you know what happened, six months later, the system was &quot;obsolete&quot; and the price was probably 1/2 of what he paid.

At that point, I gave up trying to help friends configure electronic and technology devices if I wanted to keep them as friends.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:28 AM

We aren't interested in the latest phones and don't wish to upgrade constantly. The reason the three of us in my family all upgraded to quad band phones this year was because we wanted to be in contact with each other in France and to call home with convenience. We are Cingular customers.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM

For the benefit of anyone who may stumble upon this thread in the future: it is not necessary to have a 3- or 4-band phone to keep in touch in France or call home while in Europe (see 10/23/2005, 02:38 pm, above).

Having said that, it should be pointed out that you can get a Siemens S46 which will work on Cingular's network here <u>and</u> many European networks for $30-$50 on eBay. It covers 800/900/1900, so 1800 systems in Europe aren't accessible.

You can either switch SIMs if the phone is unlocked, or use your ATT/Cingular SIM for 99&cent; (IIRC) per minute while abroad.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Robespierre, you seem very knowledgable about cellphones. But I've got to inform you that my family members and I are Cingular customers and the Motorola quad band phone was the only type available to us according to our monthly plans. As I said that was the ONLY phone we were offered. You say that one can buy the Siemens phone on eBay and it's compatible with Cingular, but I have no idea if that would affect anything on our plan in particular. Maybe there is nothing that would be affected but we went with what we were offered. And we did not wish to upgrade to Siemens.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM

I understand, and have understood from the beginning, that the Mo was the only phone <u>Cingular</u> offered. Naturally, they want to sell you a phone that will work on their obsolete TDMA network here and on GSM in Europe, because they're in business to make money. But that's not the only way to do it - and it's the most expensive way I can think of.

Moral: an hour's homework can save you $500.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Well, the mention of the lost funds whether or not it's $500 (or less most likely) is not important to usat this time. It's done and over with. It may get you irritated to know that we actually like those Motorola phones quite alot. And while we're not into the latest phone tech. features and such and don't care to upgrade every moment a new model/make comes out, we didn't care for Siemens (re: eBay) which you mention as being compatible with Cingular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -