Cell Phone Rentals in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it very expensive to rent a mobile phone for a week in Paris, and make calls to the U.S? I'm not even sure this service exists, but I hope it does.

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:24 AM
P_M

I don't know about renting a phone, so my post might only serve to top you.

I am getting ready to switch my service to T-Mobile. They are offering me a free GSM phone for signing up, and the plan they offer costs the same as the one I have now w/AT&T. The difference is I can take my new phone with me and make calls from Europe for $1.00/minute, or buy a SIM card when I get there and pay a lot less. If someone wants to call me in Europe, all they have to do is dial my cell #. Just FYI.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:30 AM
ira

Hi ms,

If you want a phone for emergency use and won't be making a lot of calls, check out www.mobalrentals.com .

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:35 AM

I am satisfied with my T-Mobile 'global' service. Note that they will not activate the 'global' plan until you've had 3 billing periods, so need to acquire this well in advance. My cell is my only phone and I like that my family can just call the same number they always do. We don't have children, so we don't make many calls, and renting is too expensive considering there is no extra charge for this service w/ T-Mobile other than the higher per-minute price. Even a SIM card is too expensive for our level of usage, and the minutes expire from non-use (I believe).
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:13 AM
P_M

YIKES, I did not know it needs to be active 3 months before global use!! I am going on a trip in May, I need to get my butt in gear and convert right away. Thanks, Travelnut.

I'm not sure if I will buy the SIM card either, mainly I want a global phone in case something happens at home and they need to call me.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:37 AM

I can recommend Piccell. They have the phone delivered to you here in the US. (They're in Seattle.) Once you get to Europe, you need to charge the phone. They have a rate plan on their website. When they send the phone, they send the UPS paperwork to have you mail the phone back to them once you get home.

Bon Voyage,
BC
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:22 AM

Yo, P_M

That's not a difference.

AT&T has GSM service in Europe @ $1/min. I used my AT&T Siemens S46, but you may need to acquire one on eBay for $15.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:41 AM

I have used "ez Wireless Communications" for my last couple of trips to Europe. You get your phone via overnight delivery at home the day before you leave, and simply ship it back overnight in a package they provide upon your return.

The rental fees are very reasonable, and the air-time charges are comparable to land lines.

We used it in Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Czech Republic last year. We had it primarily for emergencies, so that our kids could easily reach us from home, but we did use it sparingly for a few calls here and there. Our total bill, including rental, shipping, insurance and airtime charges, came in right around $100. And the reception was uniformly excellent. We had a similar experience in 2003 in Italy.

You can find more information at www.rentacellularphone.com
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:02 AM

Exactly my point. I paid nothing extra, just carried my everyday cell phone. We made 3 calls one week, for $20 max. A rental phone for $100 does not compare.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:23 AM

Signal report:

My AT&T worked fine from a Stena ferry halfway between Hoek van Holland and Harwich.

Don't ask me how, it just did.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM

Right ... assuming you already have the T-Mobile Global Service for 3 months. Like many people, my cell phone is provided by my company, and we use another vendor, so it would hardly be worth it for me to buy another cell phone simply to have it for once-a-year trips. So for me, rental is a good option.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:02 AM
P_M

As we can see, what's best for some might not be best for others. That's what is so great about exchanging ideas in a forum like this.

I discussed my service options with both AT&T and T-Mobile for some time and for several reasons I found T-Mobile to be the most suitable for my needs, both at home and overseas. I'm glad for this exchange, as I didn't know about the 3 month requirement, but since I'm not leaving until May 28 I have just enough time to get my global service set up.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:32 AM

Well let's see...each time you go you rent a phone for a week and in the end it runs about $100...

Well you use T mobile roaming and either buy or upgrade to a phone with the European frequencies and make calls worth $20 to $25....quite a difference eh....

Oh you don't have T mobile...understood. Buy a dual band phone on e bay or through various vendors...perhaps $40...buy a prepaid sim in the country you're going to be for a week...$20 to $30 at most but the phone is yours and next year you don't have to buy one again.

Finally, I suggest those of you who are big fans of renting phones read various threads on this very forum of the people who have had humongeous battles with their credit card companies when bills come through for $800 despite the fact they hardly used the phone.

And then you can tell me how wonderful it is to rent a mobile phone for use in Europe...

But if that is your kettle of fish, that's fine....
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:59 AM

xyz - I'm only relating my own experience; personally, I've had no problems with my bills, no such "humongeous battles" with my credit card company over exhorbitant charges. No doubt some customers have gotten into disputes over these bills ... no different, I'm sure, than most of the people on this list who have had disagreements of one kind or another with credit card companies for any other imagineable reason under the sun. Phone rental companies certainly aren't the only merchants who have occasional billing discrepancies.

And by the way, the $100 bill that I referred to resulted from a trip of 17 days, not a week.

If you look at the subject line of the original post, it says "Cell Phone Rentals in Europe". If you want to offer different advise than what was requested, you might think about dropping the sarcasm when you do so.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM

To me, this looks like a no-brainer.

If there is a <u>chance</u> that you can get stung for $1000 by a European phone outlet, and a risk-free alternative is available, what possible incentive is there to rent? Especially when the alternative is cheaper in the long run?

The thread title asked a question: Cell Phone Rentals in Europe?

Answer: No.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM

There wasn't one bit of sarcasm in the response I have no idea what you're talking about. The person asked a question and the response was 100% on target about cell phone rentals in Europe.

And the fact is if you read the horror stories it is not disputes with the credit card companies, these are disputes with the rental company.

And I wasn't sarcastic when I said if renting is your kettle of fish that's fine. But I presented alternatives which are cheaper in the long run for most people.

But again if you feel it is better for you to rent, I in no way put you down for that nor is there one word in the response that puts you down.

Sometimes when people disagree with a point of view it is better to read and respond to the post and not look for things that are simply not present.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:42 AM

Sometimes the written word is tricky to interpret as to tone and intent. To me, phrases like &quot;And then you can tell me how wonderful it is to rent a mobile phone for use in Europe...&quot; suggested a somewhat caustic undercurrent.

Maybe I over-reacted???
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:03 PM

The cheapest way to call home is to buy a phone card from the country you are in. They sell them in Tabacco shops. If you want to have a phone so someone can call you you can also buy a pay as you go phone. I got one for a 100 euros and it had 50 euros of phone time on it. Then the next time I want to use it I just buy a new sim card for it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM

I have a Samsung X426 phone with AT&amp;T. It is GSM (850 MHZ, 1900 MHZ) but was told it would not work from the U.K. Just having a GSM phone sometimes isn't enough. Guess it's time for an upgrade! What is the deal with the U.K.? Different MHZ?