Notices

Cell Phone rental in France

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell Phone rental in France

Has anyone rented a cell phone in France? I am leaving 3 teens with my Dad and I would like for him to be able to reach me in case of emergency. I would like to be able to get a good deal and deal with someone in English. Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:38 PM
rex

Far better deal to buy a pre-paid phone after arrival in France. They're everwhere. Typically incoming calls are free. Available from 80 euro which would usually inclde the first 25 euro of outgoing calls.

Upon return, "sell it forward" here.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

So you buy a pre-paid phone from anywhere. Do they speak English? I sell it back where? I can't thank you enough for this info. With 3 teens driving and the potential for all kinds of trouble, I want to give my Dad piece of mind that he can contact us.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:40 PM
rex

I would simply ask at your hotel where the most convenient phone store is.

And by "sell it forward here" - - I mean let others here know you have a phone to sell (or you could eBay it, I guess).
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:15 PM

If you rent, you will get ripped-off. TRUST ME!!!

Buy, use it, throw it away, and it will be 5x cheaper than renting.

Any Paris phone store will set you/your dad up with a pre-paid phone in about 15 minutes. It will be unlocked, so tell your dad to bring it back and if you/your dad/your children ever go back to ANYWHERE in Europe all they will have to do is buy some time(in some countries maybe a new SIM card). As posted by rex, it will be under $100 the first time and very cheap any other time in the future.

If you are not comfortable with that idea, find the nearest T-Mobile dealer near you. They will also set you up with a phone that you can use in US as well as just about anywhere else(a new SIM card may become necessary in some parts of the world). This option will be more expensive at first, but you will be able to use the phone here as well.

DO NOT RENT!!!!!!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 11:48 PM
Vincent

There are three main cell phone operators in France: Orange, SFR and Bouygues Telecom. Their rates are all roughly the same (you can check their web sites to have an idea). They sell their products either in dedicated dealerships or through multinetworks stores. There are zillions of them throughout Paris. The most established and ubiquitous one is the French subsidiary of Europe's largest cell phone retailer, UK based Carphone Warehouse, which in France, funnily enough, is called "The Phone House". Any of these phone stores located in the single digit arrondissments is very likely to have English speaking staff. You might do a search around your hotel in wwww.pagesjaunes.fr, looking up for "Telephonie mobile". One last advice: you would be better off avoiding the dedicated Orange stores: Orange is the cell division of France Telecom, and the Orange stores cater to cell and fixed lines alike, which calls for big lines... a la parisienne, not an experience I would recommend any foreigner!

And as AAFF rightly points it out, with this very handset you'll be able to use any other European or African network, either by keeping your French number (very likely to be ditched after six unused months though) or by having a new SIM card installed.

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:11 AM

i did rent a phone in france from a company called callphone and did not feel like i got ripped off. rental was incredibly easy, i reserved from the website and met up with the representative upon landing in cdg and returned the same way. they can also deliver the phone & pick up from hotels as well (except on sundays).

rental was basically "free". the minimum usage is 5 minutes a day @ .70 euros/day, so for a 10 day rental we paid $35 euros. we hardly used it but when we needed it we had it and just having one for the security while driving around the country was well worth the cost.

http://www.callphone.com/accueil.asp?lang=en
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:59 AM

Traveller29, if you do decide to buy a phone in France and are returning to the US (assuming you are from US) by mid-May, I'll buy it from you for half what you paid for it, up to $60. If you are interested e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info. I wouldn't have thought of buying one. Here to buy one you have to enter into a multi-year contract that is expensive. To buy seems a good idea. Thanks for all the info. This will make my trip much more relaxing if I know I can be reached. I may even see about text messaging.