Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Celebrating 40th Anniversary in Tuscany...Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help...We just booked our flights to Milan and cannot believe we will be in Tuscany in a few weeks. So many questions but will first start with: We arrive in Heathrow from NYC on the 12th at 10:50 am and have a flight with Ryan Air at Stanstead at 3:50. Do we have enough time to get to the airport? We prefer taking the bus rather than the train.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
anyone?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Hi Allyboy,

I found this on the Stanstead website http://tinyurl.com/8r65p

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

I am going to assume I have enough time and just not purchase a ticket beforehand. Now for the rest of the questions. Since we have never been to the Tuscany area (although we were in Florence more than 30 years ago) we would appreciate help with an itinerary that includes Cinque Terre. We arrive in Milan on April 12 and need a suggestion where to stay. We need to be back in Milan by the 22nd for a flight back to London. Can you suggest which village to stay in Cinque Terre; which village to base in Tuscany; which villages are a must see and where to stay? Since we are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary we want this to be a memorable trip. Thanks for being our guide.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I can't comment on Cinque Terre but in Tuscany we stayed in Montepulciano last May for a week. It is a wonderful town and great location to base yourselves as it is convenient to touring other hill towns. We stayed in the Politian apartments which we loved and which are well reviewed on www.slowtrav.com.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM

allyboy,
Send me an e-mail and I'll send you some suggestedday trips in Tuscany.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Our Ryan Air flight is into Bergamo arriving in the evening. We want to travel the next day by train to Cinque Terre. How do we get to the Central station in Milan and should we stay in Bergamo that evening ?
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Doble_Vergasser

I believe rail service to Milan would be easiest.

For rail service question I like to use Die Bahn's UK website. Google 'Die Bahn' and the listing about fifth down should be their UK (english language) website.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

I have made the following plans so far :
4/11 Overnight flight to London
4/12 Fly out of Stanstead (Ryan Air) and arrive in Bergamo w/accomodations at Agnello D'Oro
4/13,14,15 Train to Monterosso w/accomodations at Hotel Baia
4/16, 17, 18 Train to Florence w/accomodations at Tourist House Ghiberti
Here's where I need help. I have 4 days left on our trip which will include getting back to Milan on the 22nd for a 6pm flight back to Stanstead. Can you suggest a town/village south of Florence for us to base for 3 nights so we can see San Gimignano, Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano and perhaps Cortona? I would be interested in a nice b&b where my wife and I could also take a cooking class. I will be renting a car for these days. Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM

www.trenitalia.it has an English site for searching trains-- might be easier/ more accurate than going through a German site.
Also, if you haven't already bought Roundtrip tickets between Stansted and Milan, consider flyng to Pisa instead. Pisa is IN Tuscany, making it a more convenient doorway to the region. Various daily trains from Florence go right to Pisa Aereoporto, let you off right underneath the airport. Convenient 1.5 hours from FLorence by train. 2 hours to Monterosso by train.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Just want to thank everyone on Fodors who have written in about their past experiences. I have now booked Fagiolari (about an hour past Florence) and the final piece of the puzzle was to reserve the Holiday Inn Ariel at Heathrow. Every reservation has been a result of all the information I have read about on this forum. How about some restaurant tips, off the beaten path suggestions for things to do or see?