CDW or Not in Ireland

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDW or Not in Ireland

Well, I have been following the posts in reference to the CDW situation in Ireland with Mastercard. I have made a few posts reference this and thought I might add one more. I like a lot of other travellers to Ireland always opted out of the CDW with my MC Platinum. Now that the MC PLAT is no longer valid I am getting a World Mastercard. But I have decided for the first time ever to get the CDW and the Super CDW. The reason is based on my trip last year to Ireland when my sons in their own rental had an accident involving theirs and another vehicle. Even though they had the MC PLAT their out of pocket was over 2,000 US, as their car was later totaled by the company, although they drove it for the rest of the trip, go figure.I guess the vehicle had reached its rental live expectancy. Even if they had booked purchased the CDW on another credit card their out of pocket would have been about the same. I know insurance is high in Ireland, but we went with the Super CDW and we can walk away from any accident damages, yes accident and theft only. So, I guess it comes down to how much peace of mind one can afford, I know paying 2-3 thousand dollars on damages can put a damper on one's trip.I have been on driving vacations in Ireland 10 times over the past 7 years and I never thought I would opt for the CDW and SuperCDW. Any one have any driving accident stories in EUROPE as it relates to Insurance they would like to share?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:56 PM

I think the super CDW with O'Scannlain is a pretty good deal compared to others I have seen. That's worth the peace of mind because they can always come after you for the tiniest little scratches. I'm not much of a gambler here.

On the otherhand, doesn't the world MC cover super CDW?

Bill
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

I did book with O'Scannlain yesterday. Received the Super CDW for about 140.00 more.Their Super CDW was cheaper than Hertz's CDW. I wasn't aware of the World Card covering that. Are you sure?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM

I called Amex, Visa Platinum, Discover and MC World & Platinum to check on CDW waiver coverage. Other than MC World, I was told that any that currently offer coverage in Ireland will stop on 9/1/06.
MC World told me they have a $0 deductible to cover the car.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:51 PM

After reading previous posts and calling MC I myself just got a MC "Platinum" World card. A little confusing but I called MC @ 1-800-622-7747 and was told I was covered. I was directed to the following website so that I could copy the information to take with me and also given an 800 # for Ireland while there in case there were any questions, that # in Ireland is 1-800-557378. The website is www.citibank.com/us/cards/ger-content/en.htm. I don't know about other banks other than citi but this will give you something to go by.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:17 PM

Sounds like we need to get CDW then. Quick question what types of rates are you seeing? We are going in October and got a weekly rate with Hertz for a 4 door automatic for 242E. That seemed pretty good, but of course to add CDW is another 121E. We are also picking up in Shannon and dropping in Dublin with unlimited miles.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM

A Canadian issued gold or plat. issued Visa or a US issued gold or plat. MC will allow you to waive the CDW but you need to check with your issuing bank to find out if they will honour this, Limey.

Also, we've had a number of car hire agencies as affiliates on our site and we find Thrifty is one of the few left that will give you the option from the States.

Slan,
Jim Kelly
www.tourclare.com
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Jim Kelly, stop it.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 01:46 AM

We have had a lot of press in England this year regarding car rental companies that charge for paint chip damage & replacement windscreens that are never repaired - the next user can be charged for the same damage if it hadn't been recorded when taking delivery. I wondered if the car that was totalled even though your sons were able to drive it was actually written off - it may have been sold on or repaired. There are car rentals companies especially in Ireland that rent already damaged cars. In the UK the DVLC could tell you if the car was still in use but in Ireland I'm not sure.
I had a chip in a windscreen whilst in America but have not had to pay the surcharges - I must have been lucky or the American insurance is more comprehensive than the UK.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 09:13 AM

A quick update from Michele Erdwig's website (irelandyes.com). Currently MC business cards are providing full CDW. This is on anything up to a 31 day rental period.

Bill
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:53 AM

I just booked through Dan Dooley for our trip. Arriving in Dublin on 9/2. I had obtained the Citi Bank World card. I am waiving the CDW but I did get the insurance that will make my deductable only 100E. It would have been 1000E and I would have gotten it back from Citi bank if something had happened but I did not want to put a hold on my card. Total cost 9/2-9/10 for a Manual "focus" size car w/4 doors is $287.00 US. The rental was $175 and the extra "excess waiver was $112.00 I also liked the fact with Dan Dooley that I can return the car 2 1/2 hrs. later on the return from when I pick it up. That way we don't have to get to the airport early in the a.m. I can also return it a day earlier within that 26 1/2 hr. time and get a refund for the day if I want to. I called the 800# and she was great. 800-331-9301. Good luck.