CDG to Paris[Bastille]

Search

CDG to Paris[Bastille]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDG to Paris[Bastille]

WE arrive CDG [1] on Singapore Air @0650 on a Thursday and check in to our Hotel which is a short walk from the Bastille Metro @1300hrs.
Jet-lagged after a 14hrs flight and with time on our hands , one carry on bag each and one checked suite case with wheels and not much inside, our options are as follows.
Taxi...too expensive,light luggage,travel time not important.
Shuttle bus...above ground,views of Paris folk on a normal day,door to door, leaving the large case at the hotel,then coffee near by till check in .
OR ...take the RER to Gare du Nord ..Metro to Bastille ,walk to the Hotel,drop bags ,find a cafe ,chill,and return to check in......could be stressful first time navigating the system after a long flight.,lots of upstairs downstairs and WHICH EXIT stuff!
OR...Say Bonjour..smile..breeze through customs/immigration,purchase [10] Carnet metro tickets ,RER to Les Halles or Gare de Leon [no changing trains I believe?],find a cafe in the station...chill...the taxi [short ride]to Hotel for 1300hrs check in....Our first day in Paris 10 to go! replies and suggestions,thank you in advance.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM

You seem to have talked yourself into taking a shared shuttle what with a taxi being 'too expensive' and the RER/metro 'too stressful'.

Taking the RER then a cab makes little sense too me either. The train will cost about 18 euros. A cab from where you get off will cost another 10-12. So about 40 euros. A cab all the way from CDG will cost little (if anything) more than that.

You've already spent a large sum to fly to Paris... no need to cheap out over 40 euros.

I know it's easy for me to spend *your* money but I'd go with a taxi. If that 12 extra euros is that important take the RER/metro. It will be just over 18 euros for two.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 08:15 AM

www.parisbytrain.com is very helpful for a step by step video on taking the train in from CDG. You will not be able to use the credit card machines without a chip & PIN card. If you have euro coins it will be easier to buy tickets from a machine and not have to wait in line for as long.

You could get to Gare de Lyon or Chatelet without changing but Chatelet is a huge station and can be challenging.

I am more of a taxi person for the convenience of it and door to door service.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 05:01 AM

Take a taxi. Considering the cost of everything else you are doing, 45 euros for a cab is nothing. Should you wish to avoid rush hour, sit at the terminal for an hour with a coffee and then go.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Imm more of a train person myself. I've done this several times, including the first time I traveled to Paris---alone. Didn't get lost and didn't get too stressed out. But levels of stress are relative, and you have to be awake enough to watch your belongings, particularly on the RER. It's a relatively short Metro ride from the RER, though pickpockets are pretty rampant on that line. And it's a pretty long walk from the RER to the Metro at Les Halles if I recall correctly.

I've also taken a private van service. It's about the same price as a taxi, but you don't have to pay extra if you get stuck in traffic.

Either way works, but if you can't afford the taxi, then it should be RER/Metro all the way. I would not take the RER then a taxi; that seems a waste of money to me.