Reload this Page >

Castle in Ireland

Search

Castle in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 06:36 PM
Leslie

Castle in Ireland

My husband and I are planning to be in Ireland for about 7 days in early October. We'd like to stay in a castle that offers a beautiful experience... Any suggestions? No particular region required.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Cathy

Leslie, <BR>There are lots of castles to choose from - at the top end of the market are - Ashford (West), Dromoland (Mid-West) and then slightly cheaper are Kinnity (Midlands) and Markee (Sligo), the last one is only recently restored and open to the public. For details on further castles etc try either Castles Ireland web site or the Blue Book site - both list castles that take guests, the Irish Tourist Board is also a good source of information. <BR> <BR>Have a good time and enjoy yourself <BR> <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR> <BR>www.ireland.travel.ie <BR>www.townandcountry.ie <BR>www.irishfarmholidays.com <BR>www.hidden-ireland.com, <BR>www.templehouse.ie <BR>www.castlesireland.com <BR>www.irelands-blue-book.ie <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 10:50 AM
herself

We stayed at Dromoland for one night on our last trip to Ireland. It is beautiful but very expensive. I wanted a castle for at least one night. You probably need two nights to do it justice. You want to experience the grounds, the sitting rooms,the tavern the food. I am glad I did it but, would not do it again. I loved the B&B.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Judi

We stayed at Ashford Castle last year and I was not impressed. The grounds were pretty and the drive to the castle was cool but our room was very ordinary (although a great bathroom) and the walls were thin. We stayed in the newer part; I understand the original part is much nicer. Our bill for one night plus dinner, breakfast and drinks was over $500. (We picked up the bar tab for five friends from home whom we met up with there, so that added a bit to the bill.) <BR>Adare Manor gets a lot of good press on this forum but I don't have any first hand experience with it. <BR>Ireland is wonderful and I know you will have a great time.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:58 AM
Jamie

If you're looking for a more budget-minded castle than $500 a night, Killyleagh Castle in Northern Ireland may be more your speed. It's a private castle (that rents out a few rooms) in a small village on the Strangford Lough in Northern Ireland. If you search for Killyleagh or the Dufferin Arms (the pub across the street) you can find information on it. However, if you're looking for the "total castle experience," this is not for you.