Cashel,ever been there??

Aug 27th, 1998, 05:19 PM
jeremy

Cashel,ever been there??

Hi,I was recommended Cashel as a day trip from Limerick.What is there to do in y=this town besides the Rock of cashel?Has anyone ever seen the Bru Boru performances.??Thankks,Jeremy

Sep 8th, 1998, 01:40 PM
Amita

Hi,

I spent a night in Cashel and it was one of the most boring places I've ever been to. The castle is ok but I like castles that you can actually climb, and the Rock is so ruined that you can't climb anything. Hate to be so negative but it was the only place in Ireland where I felt like I wasted time.

If you do go there, do check out Hore Abbey. It's a little ways up the road (Less than a mile probably - I walked it) and you climb a stile to get down in there. I liked it in there because there was no one else there when I went.

If you want a good Irish castle, Blarney Castle outside Cork is great fun, even if you don't kiss the rock, which I didn't.

Sep 8th, 1998, 02:04 PM
kam

Been to the Rock of Cashel--not much there, only the old castle and tourists, but you could drive around in the area. I think you could probably get down as far as the Dingle Peninsula from Limerick (why are you in Limerick anyway??)Go up to Galway city from Limerick for a day of shopping and people watching. A very interesting place is Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, very near to Limerick or the Airport. Cashel is an interesting story, not a very interesting place.

Sep 9th, 1998, 09:37 AM
Bill

Want to see a good castle in the same area? Try Cahir, a ways south of Cashel. Fully restored, a good guided tour, plus you can wander all around on your own.
Better than Bunratty Castle, but Bunratty has added attraction of the Folk Park, which makes it a great place to visit.

Sep 9th, 1998, 01:06 PM
Amita

Actually, I just remembered, I think that St. John's Castle in Limerick was recently restored and it's part of the big effort to attract tourists to Limerick. Kam is right, Dingle is a fun place to go, but there are no castles, just lovely scenery and some beehive huts.

Sep 14th, 1998, 09:31 AM
Victoria

I visited the Rock of Cashel just last week. The site is quite impressive, and I recommend the guided tour. The town, however, is quite touristy. We had lunch at the Palace Hotel which was lovely.

May 20th, 1999, 01:06 PM
Derek

The castle was nice, nothing special and town a bit of a tourist trap. The ride from Tramore in the south to Cashel was spectacular, however.

May 20th, 1999, 06:45 PM
Donna

We spent a night in Cashel, then toured the castle the next morning. This was in mid March, this year. Spent the night at the Cashel Palace Hotel, and had asked for a room at the rear, second floor, that looks out over a distance to the Rock of Cashel, which is floodlighted at night. It was a very impressive sight.

Froze to death the next morning touring the Rock -- up on a hill, brisk wind. We even watched the "welcome" movie to get warm--worth it to understand the history.

The neatest part of the experience was actually getting to Cashel town. We had dropped off our Irish friend in her town of Gowran, County Kilkenny, around 7:30 p.m. Just getting dark. Took the N9 Waterford road south to Knocktopher, then headed east on the R699 to R 692 in the dark on the country roads through Dunnamaggan, Callan, Mullinahone, Fethard, and finally Cashel. We had a GREAT map, read with a flashlight, and followed a few tractors/wagons, Just another neat adventure in Ireland. Always a joy to arrive alive.