Cash discounts in Turkey

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash discounts in Turkey

Most of the hotels that we are staying at in Turkey offer a cash discount. If we are paying with US Dollars, is it okay to give them $100 bills? Some countries we've visited do not accept larger bills than $20 USD.
Most will be payed in Lira, but one quoted us in USD.
Thank you,
Nicci
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 11:44 PM

Generally not for most hotels in Turkey. I would recommend getting getting all of your cash changed here into lira, but make sure you do it in a business district and not the tourist parts as they will not give you the best rate.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Scott!

We are staying at the Aravan Evi in Ayavali Cappadocia where they quoted us $100 USD per night, if we pay in cash. Most places have quoted us in Euro or TL. We thought that perhaps they have a US connection and want the currency. We don't want to be debating over conversion rates with the owners and just wanted to make sure that they could easily convert $100 USD in Turkey, if necessary. Even here in the States, some retailers use a marker to verify larger bills are authentic.

We e-mailed them last night asking if the $100 bills were okay, so hopefully that will resolve the issue.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicci, everybody who deals in Fx deals in all denominations. In fact we probably see more $100 bills in turkey than you would in the United States. rorexample, we pay our Moldovian maid in USD and she prefers unmarked $100 bills. (many of the bills in the market have Arabic language stamps or signs of dealers on them, as they are from large batches of US currency flooding the market from the Middle East.)

You are right in not working out conversion rates as they change every 15 minutes on the free market. The best fx rates are in istanbul and at two general locations, just below the silversmiths section of the grand Bazaar and further down between the Grand Bazaar and Rustem Pasa Mosque at tahtakale, on the street with the large PTT office. The buying and selling margins are the lowest and as in all fx shops there is no commission.

You will probably get other cash discounts for your purchases and in any currency, as long as you do not ask for a receipt or a VAT refund. Any cash received by businesses means that they will not declare that income and that they will not pay any tax on it.

And Nicci, please understand that we, the people who write advice and responses here are not always infallible or all-knowing. So, check info and advice from other sources and web sites as well. The fact that some people have visited a location once or even have lived somewhere for a while, does not make them experts, especially if their background, values, likes and dislikes do not or may not match the OP's.
This is definitely true for me, a well as everyone else.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the detailed response othercheleb. I have read some of your replies to other travelers questions and you are in invaluable resource on this forum. I will make sure to double check any suggestions. Although, I must admit that is my nature anyway

We were planning to use ATMs for TL. Hopefully the fees are not too much.