Search

Cash and credit in spain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash and credit in spain

Hi there,

I'm traveling to Spain and a I have a layover in Paris. Should I bring euros from home (North America) or should I use ATM machine at cdg for cash? I'm a bit concerned about security as well. Are atm machines safe in Spain? Im sure credit cards will be fine as well.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:20 PM

ATM machines are as safe in Spain as they are anywhere else. You pay attention to the area where you are accessing the ATM, general ATM safety, etc. There is a decent amount of pickpocketing in Paris and Barcelona and I personally think that pick pockets "watch" ATMs to find victims.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:23 PM

Don't bother getting euros from home; the ATM's in CDG will provide what you need.

Make sure you notify your bank/credit card that you are going overseas. And do not use credit card to get cash. If you have time and don't already have one, get a no fee for foregin transactions credit card. Lastly, make sure all charges are done in euros, not US$. That is more costly and no need to do it.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:32 PM

All very good advice. I will add that I like to have some euros on me when I land. But it's not a big deal either way.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 10:39 PM

I always recommend buying about one day's worth of foreign currency before you leave home - it's a convenience that doesn't cost very much. Around 200 EU should do it.
If you want something to eat or drink you don't have to bother with minimum charges on a credit/debit card, you don't have to worry about getting money at busy ATMs when you land, and if you plan on taking a taxi, many do not accept credit cards.
Get to your lodging, then you can find ATMs in much quieter neighborhoods. Most will have indoor lobbies you can access, but you should still be on your guard there.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 10:40 PM

If you are only going to be at CDG for a layover before catching your flight to Spain, you don't need any cash. Just put whatever you buy on your credit card (one with no foreign transaction fees). You can get some cash at one of the airport ATMs when you arrive in Spain using your ATM debit/credit card.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 04:07 AM

Just to be aware from my experience. Many of the ATM's in Spain add an additional charge, especially the ones at the airport. Some banks reimburse this fee. Some specifically exclude these fees if charged by foreign banks. Every bank has its own policies regarding this.

Spain is fine with credit cards. You can use your credit cards for most everything. Try to acquire a credit card which has no foreign transaction fee something you should always ask about to your bank.

Spain is one of the bigger culprits in the use of dynamic currency conversion a scam where you are told for your convenience the merchant will write the charge up in your currency. What they don't tell you is they use a pathetically bad conversion rate. They are supposed to ask first before they pull this scam but increasingly in Spain I have found there are some merchants who pull this scam on their customers and claim they can't prevent it (a lie of course). Make sure before you sign any signature slip (an advantage that the USA cards for the most part are chip and signature) that there is no reference to the amount in your currency. The amount should only be shown in euro.
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 05:37 AM

Caixa, a large Spanish financial institution, imposed a fee on my foreign ATM card withdrawal during a visit in September. BBVA, even larger, did not. In my fairly extensive European experience, it is rare for a European bank to take an ATM fee. Many of the banks in North America, however, charge for withdrawals made abroad (a few are free.)
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 05:48 AM

Remember to get a four digit pin for Europe.

If you are stopping in NYC, there is a crazy place where I get foreign money. It is a plexiglass booth in the middle of cheap souvenir store near Penn Station. I have been going there for years and his rates are incomparable.

I always like to go to a foreign country with the equivalency of about $200.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/a-and-s-for...arch_key=17518
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WRT to ATM safety, I always look for ATMs inside banks - usually in the lobby - -and use them during banking hours. Since I travel solo I don't have anyone to watch for me if I use a more exposed ATM, plus if the machine eats my card (hasn't happened yet, but...) it would be easier to get it back. My Capital One account refunds any fees charged by a foreign ATM.

Spain does indeed seem to have gone over completely to DCC. This also applies to ATMs, even bank ATMs. Read the prompts carefully.