Search

Cash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash

We are renting little apartments or rooms almost everywhere in Croatia and have been informed we have to pay cash. I know if you use your credit card in an ATM you have to not only pay the transaction fee of the card company, but the interest on a cash advance from the moment the money leaves the machine. Debit cards are much cheaper, but if one is stolen or you are wrongfully debited, there is no recourse as there is with the best credit cards like American Express. What other solution is there? Also, is the Euro widely accepted in inexpensive restaurants? Grocery stores?
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Why do you think there is no recourse with an ATM , debit card. Mine is fully protected. If your isn't change banks
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM

You have responses on your other thread. I'm not sure why you have 2 different threads for the same question; 1 for Slovenia and 1 for Croatia.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Why do you ask about recourse, do you plan on staying in one of these private apartments and then disputing your credit card?
You will very, very few private homeowners who willa accept credit cards here. They end up paying an enormous fee for the use and most cannot afford that fee. I have been told that it is as high as 20% on the total transaction.
If you prefer to use only your credit card, then perhaps a hotel would suit your purpose better.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM

I've never had any problem with my debit card being "wrongly debited".
If you have concerns:
1) use a money belt to protect your debit card and money.
2) Check out the machine carefully before using it.
3) You said, "we" then each of you should carry a debit card for different banks. If one debit card is lost or stolen, you'll have a back up.
4) AS Dubruvniktravelady said, stay in a hotel.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Read again; I never said I wanted to use credit cards to pay for lodging, only was wondering the best way to get cash. Due to the answers by other responders, I have found out that (unlike during past trips, perhaps too long ago) my bank as well as my credit union do protect 100% against fraudulent use, as long as you make a police report in case of theft, and that it takes a few weeks to restore the money. I have also been told that there is sophisticated spyware that can be placed in an atm to copy a pin number. So the other suggestion of carrying various debit/cash cards will be followed. Thank you.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
P_M

It takes a few weeks to get your money back? That's very odd, my bank says it takes 2 business days.