Casa de la Juderia - Location

Dec 9th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Myer

Casa de la Juderia - Location

This is a serious question.

Any concerns about safety being down the end of a dark alley?

Is it also a bit out of the way?

Thanks.

Dec 9th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Judy

My husband and I stayed there in September and it is not at "the end of a dark alley". The entrance to the alley is across from a small square with at least two restaurants, so this is definitely not an isolated area and the alley was well lit. We never felt unsafe coming back to the hotel at night. We could walk to the cathedral area in about 5 minutes and thought the location was very good. I don't know if you are driving or not, but we took a cab to the hotel from the airport and we would not have wanted to drive on the narrow streets in Seville. If you have any more questions about this hotel, I'd be glad to answer. We were very pleased with it. Our room was more of a large suite overlooking a courtyard with a fountain. It was quiet. The decor was attractive. The staff was helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

Dec 9th, 2002, 09:00 AM
StCirq

Las Casas de la Juderia is not at the end of a dark alley. It's in a perfectly safe location. Your only concern should be if you are planning to drive to it. Finding it is a bit of a challenge, and getting into the parking lot requires superior driving ability.

Dec 9th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Myer

Question answered.

Not driving.

Thanks.

Dec 9th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Patrick

I agree with the above. The location is wonderful and the "dark alley" question is a non issue. Arriving by car is the most difficult part. In fact, in wasn't until we left that we discovered we must have approached from the wrong direction on a one way street.

Dec 10th, 2002, 12:35 PM
CathyM

Myer:
the MAIN entrance for the hotel is as described:

"The entrance to the alley is across from a small square with at least two restaurants, so this is definitely not an isolated area and the alley was well lit"

However, I stayed in another part of the hotel that was located further down from the main entrance (the square was not visible from here), then I had to make a left down another alley to the entrance of my building just around the corner. It was not exactly well lit, but I wouldn't describe it as dark either. There was a hotel employee at the entrance to the building so once inside it was well secured. I was by myself and felt safe walking around in the evening with the normal precautions.

By the way, the room was incredible and service great. This was one of my favorite hotels during this trip.

Dec 10th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Myer

How about the difference between a double and double with living room?

Worth the difference (I think about 18E)?

Dec 10th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Patrick

Although I didn't think we booked it that way, we were given a room with separate living room. The bedroom, while nice, was tiny, just about a foot or so all around the bed (a king), so the rather roomy living room was very welcome. But I saw other rooms that were all one large room which were just as nice. I personally didn't care about the living room being separate, so I'm not sure it would have been "worth it" to pay extra for that arrangement.

Dec 11th, 2002, 01:21 AM
marko

A recommendation for Las Casa Del Rey Baeza (sp), a great small hotel, good location and a great staff !! Entry is tucked away but we didn't feel uncomfortable even when rolling in at 3am....full of the local beer, which I cannot remember the name of !! Nice though, there is a great bar nearby where we spent a long night eating , drinking and laughing with the local twenty somethings ( we are thirty somethings). A great city.

Dec 11th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Laura

Myer, may I ask how you book your hotels? I'm struggling with this right now, as I need to book about 7 different hotels for early February. I noticed that Accomline.com has a good price for the Juderia (101 incl. breakfast), but it has to be paid up front and there are penalties for changes and cancellations. An e-mail to the hotel gave me a higher price (107 without breakfast), but I might be better off taking it, in case my itinerary changes.

Dec 11th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Myer

I'm sure that are others much better at this than I am.

I've used Bestwestern.com for their hotels (France, Switzerland). Easy to deal with. Good cancellation policy.

I've use venere.com (so have many of this site) for Italy with good results.

On venere this hotel came up at 77E for early Feb for a single and 114 for a double.

I tried Accomline.com but lost interest when rates were shown 'on request'. This is the online computer age.

Dec 11th, 2002, 09:15 AM
gail

Great timing for this discussion. I'm about to try to get reservations at this hotel in March. I've been studying Spanish -- has anyone who's stayed there been able to make reservations in English, or should I do my best with Spanish? Also, I've been unable to find a website for the hotel or much info about the rooms. Does anyone know if there's a word in Spanish for a room with a separate living room (or do you just spell it out?)
Thanks in advance.
gail

Dec 11th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Myer

Gail. You can go to www.venere.com

They list the type of rooms and show a few pictures.

Dec 11th, 2002, 10:59 AM
olga

The hotel´s website is
www.casasypalacios.com and yes, you can make the reservation in English by e-mail at [email protected], fax at 34-954-422170 or phone at 34-954-415150 -limited hours-.

www.venere.com only has regular rack rates at this hotel and Las Casas de los Mercaderes, so you might as well reserve yourself. Plus, I don´t trust them too much, their system is complicated for the hotels to put information into, and as a result sometimes it looks as if there is availability when there really isn´t.
I had a fiasco with a hotel in Huelva through this website and ended up with nothing, even after getting a confirmation message and giving my credit card. It is good for research purposes, though.

Dec 11th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Myer

Olga,

The web site above doesn't come up.

Also, when I did a search for it in Google, it is found but then the link goes nowhere.

Dec 11th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Maribel

Hi Olga,
I've been meaning to tell you that I can't ever connect to www.casasypalacios.com on my computer. I always get a connection failure, so for a while I wondered if the site had changed or had disappeared. I have the exact same problem as Myer. This is a mystery. Any idea why this happens?

Un saludo,
Maribel

Myer,
I wouldn't use venere.com for Spain hotels either.

Dec 11th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Holly

Hmmm. Olga's website worked fine for me. Did you actually cut and paste it into your browser, or type it in?

Dec 11th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Myer

I'm not quite sure if Holly said she had no problem when she copy/pastes it or type it in but when I typed in the URL it worked.

Strange.

Their rates are in pts and not for next year.

You can send an eMail for a rate quote.

Dec 11th, 2002, 05:32 PM
gail

Thanx for the info. I've tried numerous times to open casasypalacios.com and have never managed to make it work. Maybe it depends on what you're using for a computer/software? Anyway, I'll email them and try out my rudimentary Spanish at first. Appreciate everyone's input.
gail

Dec 11th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Laura

It was great to finally see the hotel's website, even if the price list was a bit outdated (2001!).

I sent my e-mail in English and received a prompt reply, also in English. However, I forgot to ask for a living room and I don't know if the rate I was quoted includes one; I'll write them back today. I'm getting excited about my trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO