Cars & Communication in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are scheduled to arrive in Lisbon on February 13th for 3-1/2 weeks. I have a car rental of a Renault Megane reserved but because of complications causing the slow healing of a broken wrist, I want to change this car out for one with an automatic transmission. I intend to rent from carjet.uk (thanks to a post suggesting same to me on this forum!). This company shows only two cars with automatic, both Opels - a Corsa and an Astra. I have no idea of the size of these - I am 188 cm tall and a big guy so I am wondering if either of these is possible - or do I need one with a sunroof so I can stick my head out the roof!! Also, I understand theft from vehicles (and pickpockets) are a plague these days in Europe - since we will have to leave our luggage in the car much of the time, it would need to at least be in the trunk for some security - so a generous trunk would be good. Do rental cars in Europe/Portugal typically come with alarms?

Also, I run a small business here in Canada so need to keep in touch. I will have a laptop with wireless. Are internet cafes common in Portugal? Do most hotels, guest houses etc. have internet available? If I take my cellular which is on the Telus network, can I buy a phone card of some kind that will allow it to operate in Portugal? To text message from it?

Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions welcomed!! Thanks.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Opel Corsa is a small car, so at least you must rent the Opel Astra.
In the USA that car will be a midsize car.
Luggage always in the trunk, absolutely no valuebles in view in the car. Be sure where to park your car (and hope for the best..)
Donot expect an alarm in a rental car.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Absolutely no valuables <s>in view</s> in the car. If they want to steal your dirty laundry, let them.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I hate trying to manage my business through internet cafes, though in practice you sometimes have to do this from time to time. Uploading from a disc or whatever isn't always possible, you can't respond to client questions during their time zone, and if your essential databases are as disorganised as mine you really need a PC of your own in your hotel room.

Many European hotels - especially the ones you're likely to be on holiday in - have internet access only in messy places or circumstances (as do many hotels in California, we discovered). Business-oriented hotels often have ferocious access charges. In practice, you need a belt and braces solution:

- consider getting a BlackBerry or similar
- make sure you pack a small data transfer device in case you need to get stuff from a laptop onto a machine in an internet cafe
- I never can never understand which bits of the North American mobile phone system work in Europe. But lots of other posters do. Search this board for what you have to do to use your mobile. Personally, if I were North American, I'd just buy a cheapo mobile over here. But...
- Research getting a GPRS card for your laptop. This gives you OK speed for web access in most of Europe, subject to some local coverage quirks. Vodafone certainly offers it in Portugal: check TMobile as well. But do research the rates carefully: in some markets, and in some combinations of using foreign SIMS, they're beyond extortionate.
- Don't assume hotel connections will be wireless. You may have to use dialup sometimes, and practically no hotel on earth will give you a straight answer to the question &quot;what internet access do you have?&quot; if you email them kn advance.

Almost everywhere, when on holiday or travelling away from business hotels, we keep our mobiles on to pick up messages, check in internet cafes at least daily for mail, and use hotel connections through the laptop about every couple of days (ie, when we're in a hotel with the right facilities) for more elaborate staying in touch.

At least we would if clients organised themselves round us.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.

flanneruk
Thanks for your effort in making such a detailed reply that was so helpful.