carrying money in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be traveling to Ireland in three weeks. What is the best way to carry money in Ireland? Is it better to bring maybe $100 dollars in US money then exchange it at the airport? What are the fees for using an ATM card? Are traveler's checks the way to go, though I read you can't use these to purchase items? Help please. Thanks.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Don't bother to exchange dollars at the airport. ATM's are the way to go -- they are widley available (though not in every tiny village), offer the best exchange rate, and the only fee you will pay is the one imposed by your own bank (ask before you go). Just be sure to get enough Euros to hold you through a remote area, especially if you plan to stay in B&Bs; some accept credit cards, but many prefer cash.
Visa and Mastercard are fine for purchases in tourist-oriented areas. Again, fees (as a percentage added to the official excnage rate) depend on the card issuer.
I haven't bothered with travelers checks in the past five years, and for several years before that I returned with them unused because ATM and credit cards were so much easier to use. For emergency purposes, I keep about $200 cash in a money belt, but haven't had to use that either.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Bringing $100 US and exchanging at the airport would yield the worst exchange rate. My experience is that using an ATM/Debit card yields you the best rate, and most European banks charge no fee. That's not to say your own bank won't charge a fee, but you'll still make out better than exchanging US cash. I've never had good luck with traveler's checks. For most purchases you should use a credit card when possible. When not possible, cash you got using your ATM/Debit card. Good luck!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Travelers checks have become less useful because of higher expenses, but if you want them use American Express and go to the American Express office to cash them if you have an Amex card. The best rate is usually ATMs, which are everywhere. The fees depend upon your local bank and the bank where you withdraw. And no, you can't use the TC for purchases--you must convert them to local currency.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:45 AM

I agree with kayd I just got back from Ireland last week and I found using the ATM( which does have a fee but is worth it) along with a charge card is the way to go. Getting a minimal amount of euros is smart for small items and snacks. natjgc
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Don't take dollars or Travelers Checks! There are ATM's to the left just as you come out of Immigration/Customs at both Shannon and Dublin airports. I usually withdraw enough on my Credit Union ATM card to last me several days and then I just use a local bank ATM wherever I happen to be. I don't like to use Credit Cards because most U.S. banks add on a hefty 'Foreign Currency Conversion fee.' Many B&B's don't take Credit Cards (they will ask you to guarantee a reservation with a major Credit Card). I don't know how that works out. There are no fees on my Credit Union ATM card and it usually gives me the best conversion rate.

So use your ATM Card and pay cash for everything even though you may have to guarantee some reservations with a major credit card.
P.S.
Buy an Eircom Phone Card (the kind with the I/C chip on the card) as soon as you can. I couldn't find any at Shannon airport this trip; I bought one at the Centra store across from the Galway Bus/Train Station - about 2-doors down from Garvey's.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Even though the Irish banks don't charge you a fee to use the ATM, verify with your BANK - I thought I was fine , and found out when I got my statement, that because the ATM's in Ireland were not of the same network as mine (PULSE?) I was charged $3.50 per withdrawal.

Still worth it - because I only used the time about 4 times , but kind of a surprise.

ATM's are definitely the way to go.

To make sure I had no problems, I opened a new account , and set up some emergency funds there. That way I had 2 ATM cards that were not linked to each other, just in case one got eaten. A little over the top, but made me feel better.

Either get a bit of Euros from your local bank before you leave, or hit the first ATM in the airport. You will need cash for sodas, tolls (if you are landing in Dublin) etc. I always get a bit ($100 -200 depending on how many people are traveling with me) before I leave. That way I am not at the mercy of the airport lines for the ATM. That is just me - it is worth the conversion cost to me.

RE: B&B's with CC's - if you have prebooked your b&b's, just email them to double check that they do take Credit Cards for Payment. All but 1 of mine did. Some will say they prefer cash, or that they add on 1 - 3% if you use a CC. But if they only take cash, be sure to have enough on hand.

enjoy your trip.

Debbie
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I bought $100 worth of Euros before I went over, and it was a good thing since I arrived very early in the morning and the ATM at Shannon was out of order!

It is very true that there are NOT ATMs in every little village. I did a week-long horseback trek, and there was ONE ATM on our route. Be prepared!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Just a word of warning, there's been recent coverage in newspapers here in Ireland of banks refusing to change $100 bills specifically. If you are going to bring US currency use other denominations. I'd use my credit card as much as possible, Visa and Mastercard are the most widely accepted but then maybe you'll get his with feed. Have a good trip.

www.vistaphotos.com
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 02:51 PM

How common is American Express? Do pubs and shops and most places (besides b&bs) take Visa or should we just hit ATMs for Euros?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 03:21 PM

You'll find Visa much more common than American Express. Most shops will take your credit card, but many pubs will not. In order to have enough cash when we needed it for our B&B, and to have enough to pay for our Guinness, we used ATMs.