Reload this Page >

Carry passport or not?

Search

Carry passport or not?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 1999, 01:56 PM
Marty

Carry passport or not?

I am a little paranoid these days about posting a question, but I have done a search, and did not find exactly what I want to know, because there was more information given than I have time to go through. So here goes: I will be in Paris and Rome in a few weeks. This is not my first trip to either place; in fact, I have been in both recently. My last time in Paris, we were on a bus, and the the bus ahead of us was stopped by police or military and searched. I was not carrying my passport and really panicked. They let our bus go by though. I always leave my extra cash, passport and plane tickets in the hotels safety box. I do have copies that I keep in my suitcases, but that incident shook me. I don't want to get in trouble or even waste a day trying to clear myself. I keep reading about money belts and neck pouches for passports and airline tickets. Do I really need to walk around carrying that stuff, or am I safe to continue leaving it in the hotel's box. My best defense against pickpockets has been to travel lightly, carrying only guide books, a little money, and my camera in a bag over my shoulder and close to my body, and a credit card hidden on myself. Also, this just occured; if a copy of passports and airline tickets will help me if I lose mine, can't they also be used by a thief? What to do?

Old May 24th, 1999, 02:08 PM
Donna

I'm not sure what the laws are in Italy, but the French government requires that you have ID on you at all times - however, they do recommend a photocopy of your passport be carried with you while leaving the original in the hotel safe. I, personally, keep mine in my under-your-clothing security pouch, but leave the airline tickets in the hotel safe.

Old May 24th, 1999, 02:29 PM
j.cabral

Marty: A few years ago I was stopped by a soldier in Paris during elections as I walked around and was asked to provide identification. I was carrying my passport on my person as I always do so it was not a problem. Another tourist was stopped and was delayed as several people looked at their drivers license from US. I always carry my passport on my person when travelling and leave copies with my luggage in my room. I guess I am not very trusting about giving my passport up to anyone while in a foreign country.I leave my airline tickets with my luggage also and have never had a problem.Tickets can'teasily be used by anyone else so I don't feel they are a target for theft.I guess you just have to figure out what you are comfortable with. As with being concerned about someone using your copies of passport and tickets- You most likely would not be able to get on flight without first having abtained a new passport or other official documentation from consulate or embassy where you reported theft. Most airlines now( at least the past 3 times I have flown to Europe) have required passport at checkin and at boarding . I certainly would not be as worried about copies getting into wrong hands as I am about protecting the real thing. <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 08:20 AM
Maira

Carry it with you at all times secured under your clothes. If you need money or to do any financial transaction as well as a medical mishap, you better be ready to produce a valid form of ID. I wouldn't risk it.

Old May 26th, 1999, 12:46 PM
Craig

Theft from boxes is more common than theft from bodies. I think that the "pick-pocket" scenario is exciting and that is why you'll hear about it more than box or luggage theft. Emergencies mean that you need it right now with you -- not across town. Also, if somebody steals it you'll figure it out sooner and have things straight before you leave town, hopefully. <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 05:08 PM
M & J

We also carry our passports in money belts. We also make several copies of the passports tickets which we stash in various places. In Paris, many years ago, our son's passport was stolen by the slight of finger thieves using the newspaper in your face scam. At that time, we had no copies----many long hours laters, it was replaced. Now, money belts for everything but the daily spending cash.

Old May 26th, 1999, 08:33 PM
Donna

I'd like to add that the reason we leave our airline tickets in the hotel safe is that they're a bit bulky to carry around. Although, sometimes we fold them and stick them in our passports inside our security pouches. A thief may need ID to fly with them, but NOT to cash them in apparently - as happened to some friends of ours when in Switzerland.