Carry on luggage suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out that we are only allowed a maximum carry on of 55x40 cm which converted is only about 22x16 inches. Not very big at all. Should we consider backpacks as a carry on? I have two nice roomy carry ons that I've always used before but they are too big for this trips' allowance.
Thanks,
TB
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Personally, I don't like backpacks because if you wear them, you can't protect them from "intruders" very well - standing in a long line with folks right behind you, just seems too easy an arrangement for theft. I don't find them that comfortable to carry on one arm (pulls on my clothes and keeps falling off, etc.) or in my hand (I trip over the straps hanging down).

I'm currently using a 22" duffle bag. It's got several smaller compartments inside and outside for my small wristlet wallet, papers, books, iPod, etc. And a nice roomy main inside for bigger items. Since it's softsided, I can squish it to make it fit size requirements. With the shoulder strap and the handles, I can easily carry it at my side or in front of me (while trudging through the plane's aisle).
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That is a very generous allowance - most airlines limit carry-ons to 22X14X9 inches.

Any 21 inch or most 22 inch rollaboards will be your best bet. The reason I say "most" 22 inchers is that some have large wheels and/or bulky handles that really make them 23 inches long -- too big for many sizer boxes.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM

I always use a daypack of about 30-40 litres. It means my hands are free for other things & that I've got something to put my towel / book / water / sunglasses / suncream in when I go to the beach.

Can't see the point of carrying a heavy bag (which cuts into your luggage allowance) which is then going to sit in a corner for the holiday.

Valuable stuff like cameras always travels close to my body except when going through UK airport security
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I'd say it depends if you are traveling alone. I just returned from Europe and I usually like to take a carryon with wheels, but I decided to carry a backpack instead. I was able to fit it under the seat but it was heavy on my back when going through the airports. I also have a carryon that is on wheels and the front part zips off a small backpack-that way you can separate it to fit on small airplanes and it is on wheels. They also make backpacks on wheels.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
TB- Are you also checking luggage? If so, any daypack, oversized pocketbook, messanger bag, can work for the carry-on.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM

I loke my Steves' Veloce bag - it is a backpack, but also a shoulder bag that can be carried like messenger bag. Several pockets, mesh pockets for water, and can hold plenty in the main compartment, including a 14" laptop (books, cell, camera, journal and carry on cosmetics, not to mention a change of clothes if needed.)
It's a good size...room for everything without being too bulky for my small frame, so it can double as a large daypack for trips to the market or the beach.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM

<< I found out that we are only allowed a maximum carry on of 55x40 cm which converted is only about 22x16 inches. Not very big at all. >>

Which airline? What's the carry on weight limit?

For us, the main issue is the weight limit. For our trip next month to Prague, the weight limit is 15 lbs.

Woody
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Woody- carry on weight is 17 pounds. I plan on weighing it before we leave. This weekend I went and found (LOL, a little obsessive, I brought along my measuring tape!) and found a perfect duffle bag, with shoulder straps and carrying handles. Fits size requirements and plenty of room.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Sounds like you did your homework. Good job.

Woody
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:50 PM
PKC

The weight for carry on with Alitalia is 11 lbs. Does anyone know if this is being enforced?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Alitalia is my problem with packing too...
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM
jgarvey

Just make sure that it is on WHEELS and not on your shoulder! You have no idea how long the walks can actually be from one gate to another!! I'm thinking Brussels and Heathrow!

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:08 AM
PKC

With a 11 lb. limit, there is no way you can take something with wheels --- there's 5 lbs. right there. It would be easy to carry 11 lbs. I was just hoping that maybe it wasn't being enforced so I could take something that totalled more than 11 lbs.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:12 AM

I think I am going to check a 25", 9lb, eagle creek rolling bag, carry on Air France a 3 1/2 lb High Sierra Travel pack with everything I don't want to risk losing from Boston to NY to Paris to Florence. For the Alitalia flight, the back pack will go into the 25" bag to be checked. I will bring a very light weight Nike duffel, < 1lb, and fill it with my carry-on - I plan to put my Rome clothes in either a large ziploc bag or a packing cube so they stay separate while we are in Tuscany. I can't believe how much thought I have tried to put into my packing/luggage options.

Any idea what I will be allowed from Rome to Paris? We have a layover from about 12:30pm to 8:00am the next morning.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Beware carrying anything valuable in the too-convenient small compartment at the back. I have watched this pocket being raided as the owner was waling along. Some checkins will ask you to use their large items checkin as the straps foul up the conveyer belt. Some backpacks have a way of folding all the dangly bits away to avoid this hassle.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM

THank you but the back pack will either be with me (I tend to just put the pack over one shoulder) or will be inside checked luggage. I will be very careful of pickpockets. I have been pickpocketed in Paris - not fun!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM

My DW has a soft-sided roller bag with pop-up handle that weighs 3 lbs. She got it online from Chadwick's. I believe it was free if she spent $30.

Woody
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
wow 3 lbs. is amazingly light for anything with wheels
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM

Another person seeking carry on, and more specifically, a light weight piece of luggage; ideally, would like wheels as I don't think I'm able to schlep the weight on my back.

I'm considering the "Mother Lode Mini" that I've found on www.ebags.com >>> http://www.ebags.com/ebags/mother_lo...?modelid=68256

Anyone here with a this bag or have something comprable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -