Carry-on for Europe trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many have gone to Europe for at least a week with a carry-on suitcase and maybe a large shoulder tote bag? I have. It is possible. The reason--a direct order from my husband who doesn't want to wait for the luggage or risk it being lost. I would much prefer to take a larger case which would enable me to take more of an assortment of clothing. But actually through experience, I found I usually don't wear everything I bring. The only big problem I have with a carry-on is only being able to take one pair of shoes (the ones I'm wearing) and as a woman, I need several pairs!! So how about the rest of you--travel light or is that unimaginable?
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:05 AM

I travel light even though I'm not taking orders from anyone.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Intrepid

Perhaps you should leave out some of those things that you say you don't usually wear and use the space for the extra pair(s) of shoes.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:10 AM

Buy the shoes at your destination
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM

I travel light because I'm usually on a thinner budget. I want to use the metro, or get a economy car. Large bags hinder the process, so I've always used a 22" carry on (worked great for 2 weeks in Paris/Rome, 2 weeks in Ireland, and 3 weeks in Australia).

I pack simple, dark clothes and never take more than 2 pairs of shoes. And personally, I think I look fine. Well, that is except for my recent 4 months backpacking trip. But whaddaya gonna do when you only have one pair of black ecco boots to your name, and all the clothes you have in the world are in two ziploc 2 gallon bags?
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:14 AM

We always bring a 22" rolling suitcase each, along with a duffel bag inside for items we buy. I couldn't imagine going to Europe any other way.

We also wear the shoes we're going to wear in Europe on the plane, and bring along only one extra pair. We also do laundry while we are there, so that helps us to pack lighter.

I agree that carry-on packing has to be learned at times, after a couple of trips of overpacking.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Everyone has different philosophies about travel. After a 6-9 hour flight I don't want to look for an ATM but I don't mind waiting 10-15 minutes for my bag to come off the plane. I check it even if it's carry-on size; I prefer that to hoisting it into and out of the plane's overhead compartment.

I pack less than I used to, and I generally do wear everything I bring, and often do laundry or drycleaning during the trip. I alway go with at least one extra pair of shoes, sometimes two.

My actual carry-on tote is also my purse, plus whatever I don't want to check (medications, extra pair of undies, tickets and itinerary, etc.)

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:20 AM
dln

I have gone travelling both ways. Once I had a suitcase that was so heavy (72 pounds!) that it required a special warning sticker to alert the baggage handlers! But that was a very special situation. We were returning from the UK, where we had been cleaning out my MIL's house after her death, and the suitcase was filled with precious treasures. But it goes to show that if you have to travel heavy, it CAN be done. (Wouldn't recommend it, though.)

I think this is a timely question, though. We're off to Italy next Thursday, and tomorrow morning I'm going to lay out all my clothes and try everything on, and then TRY to pare the wardrobe down to the bone. And then I'm going to do a trial run packing. Having said that, lucky03, I STILL want to bring four pairs of shoes...it's going to be tough. I think I might just have to pack nothing but mini-skirts. They'll take up less room than the full length models.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:23 AM

I am a "bare necessities" packer, still I wouldn't risk it to go somewhere for at least a week with only 1 pair of shoes! At least 2! And both broken into, checked out on shorter trips on weekend hikes. To save space you can put socks or pantyhose inside.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Check the carry-on allowance for your flight..BA has a 13 # limit and your roll aboard may weigh more than that empty.And at least where I fly from they do enforce it!

The info should be on your airline's website
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:38 AM

I'm going for 22 days starting on Sept. 18 and I am only taking a 22" carry-on and what basically amounts to a large purse. I will wear one pair of shoes and pack the other in my suitcase. I really only need these two pair . . . but, then again, my sister jokes that I'm missing the common female "shoe" gene!

Jennie
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:42 AM

I would think it would be uncomfortable, as well as unpleasant, to wear the same pair of shoes every day.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Multiple pairs of shoes are not just for vanity. I had two pairs which were both comfortable when I left, but I got blisters in Europe last month, probably in part due to the heat (although I wasn't in the hottest parts and it was before the worst heat wave). I wish I had taken one more floppier pair of shoes.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Hehehe...no kidding escholtzia. Try wearing one pair of shoes for 4 months, often with the same pair of socks you've been wearing for 4 days. Disgusting, but true.

But at least they were very comfortable shoes. Never had a problem in those Eccos.

I broke down and bought a pair of sandals while in Spain. It was finally warm enough!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:47 AM

On 2 different occasions I went to Italy for 2 weeks with ONE carry on size suitcase and an oversized purse (like a satchel) for a small camera, books and maps. One can only do this if you don't mind wearing things more than once...or twice and if you don't have to iron or hang anything.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:53 AM

I've never met anyone that returned from Europe and said that they wish they had taken MORE luggage.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:56 AM

A friend told me that because she only does carry-on luggage, she is considered more of a security risk and has therefore been subjected to a more thorough search of herself and her bags. I
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:54 PM

Dick--you haven't met my wife.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:02 PM

I have to check my bag, because I am a musician, and travel with an instrument (which is my carry-on)and, of course, a large purse! This past month, I had my bag delayed twice! Believe me, it's better to carry your stuff on! My best tip for shoes is to bring some really comfy flip flops if you are going to a very warm location. Then, wear your dressy or heavy shoes on the plane. I ended up wearing my $3 flip flops (which were intended to be shower shoes!) during my whole 5 weeks in Europe. It was SO hot in Italy, my feet swelled up like balloons, and I had to resort to wearing my foam flip flops (with comfy cloth wedges between the toes). I didn't think they'd last through sightseeing at the Forum & Colloseum in Rome, but they held up to the last day! Easy & light to pack, too. I also like the idea of buying more shoes there (and maybe throwing out an old pair that you brought from home later on in your trip). Have a great trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:03 PM

This thread is timely. I'll be leaving in a few weeks to Western Europe for 3 months. My goal is to take only 1 22" rolling suitcase, a backpack for long-weekend trips, and a purse. I'm petite and I'll have to lug this stuff around myself...so hopefully, it'll work out okay.

P.S. I just bought a pair of comfy Enzo sandals yesterday which'll work with skirts/dresses and pants (dressed up/down), so that'll get rid of two pairs of shoes I wanted to bring! Yay...small victory!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -