Carrières de Lumières in Les Baux des Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends have recommended we go to the Carrieres de Lumieres when we're in Provence this October. The website only has tickets available through the September dates. Does anyone know whether they will open ticket sales for dates in October or whether the exhibition closes in September? If anyone has attended previous exhibitions, do you also recommend going? Would you recommend staying in Les Baux de Provence in order to attend? Any help or advice you can offer is appreciated.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Have you looked at videos at youtube? Whether recommended or not depends on your interest. They use the flat rock surfaces left over from the quarry operation from the past and turn into images all over the cave. I think one cycle is about one hour. After that, it repeats. The show cleverly uses the geometry left over from the quarry operation and incorporate into the multi-media show. The show is meant to be seen walking around this enormous quarry cave.

There is no need to stay in Les Baux just for this purpose. After about one hour, you are looking at the same thing. I visited Les Baux and Carrières de Lumières as a trivial half day trip from Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. If you drive there, there is no need to move your car. I just left my car at the Les Baux paid parking lot, visited the Les Baux castle, had a lunch in Les Baux, and walked to the Carrières de Lumières. This place is very popular. Although I drove there right after BF at my hotel in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, there weren't many parking space left. You can park on the road for free but it can be quite a way down the hill.

I just bought a combo ticket at the castle ticket office, Castle + show, when I drove into Les Baux that day. http://carrieres-lumieres.com/en/pre...ur-visit/rates.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 05:51 PM

Totally agree with greg, although I might go a step further and suggest you not stay in Les Baux. It's way too crowded for my taste. The crowds will be gone at night, but I don't find it charming enough to put up with the hordes through the day. We were there in late September.

We also went from St. Rémy, but got a later start, so we parked on the road for just a few euro. No free parking where we were.

We really enjoyed the carrières de lumière, and i would definitely recommend it. We almost didn't go because it was a very hot day and we were pretty well done in by the heat and hordes, but I'm so glad we decided to push on.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is absolutely no need to buy tickets in advance. Even at the height of the season, there are never more than about 10 people in the ticket queue at any given time.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 07:29 PM

I went in the heat of summer. And it was definetly the place to be to cool off
I throughly enjoyed seeing the impressionist master pieces
Projected on a grand scale. In a unique setting.
I do not know if they continue to exhibit after summer? But if they do and you appreciate the subject.
Which I believe is rotated it's a unique experience.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think I won't sweat trying to get advance tickets and won't stay in Les Baux in any event. Thanks again!
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 07:54 AM

We thought it was amazing! Really enjoyed it.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM

Another thumbs up for Lumineres - we also hope to go this Oct. I think it is now some of the northern artists? like Brugel and Bosch (that might be a little creepy!)

We did not care for Les Baux - lovely views, yes but otherwise a tourist trap.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
my visit last summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6CNNIPKpQ