Carnival in Rome?

Jan 4th, 2002, 06:35 AM
ebr

Carnival in Rome?

According to Fodor's 2001 guide to Rome, "Carnival celebrations reach a peak of masquerading fun on the Sunday and Tuesday before Lent begins." We wil be in Rome at that time, and would like to hear reports of Martedi Grasso (Mardi Gras) festivities there. What exactly goes on? I imagine restaurant reservations are a must--any suggestions? Thank you.

Jan 18th, 2002, 05:53 AM
ebr

Hi--We would really appreciate some information about Carnical celebrations in Rome. I have looked everywhere I can find and, as yet, the Fodor's mention is the only one I find.
We also wonder whether restaurants and museums will be closed on Ash Wednesday. Would this be a good day to take a day trip?

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thank you,
ebr

Jan 18th, 2002, 11:12 AM
DNJ

My wife and I are going to rome the same week. I completely forgot about Fat Tuesday a quick search of net doesn't show a lot about Carnivale in Rome. Lots of parades and mask wearing but does not appear to be the as wild as New Orleans or Rio. Venice's Carnivale is supposed to be the biggest event on the continent here's a description I found on the web : http://www.whatsonwhen.com/lo/viewevent.asp?id=15253

Jan 18th, 2002, 01:55 PM
ebr

Thank you DNH-- Maybe Carnevale in Rome will be just right--fesive but not elaborate enough to interfere with restaurants, etc. We (group of five couples) live close enough to New Orleans to be very familiar with Mardi Gras, but if Rome has anything like that I'm sure we would have heard!

Let's hope we all have a great time in Roma!

ebr

Jan 18th, 2002, 02:01 PM
micia

don't worry, you will have no problems. Nothing major going on like in Venice.
Beware how ever of kids.
They like to spray you with shaving cream and confetti. Not all do this, but some will if they catch you.

Jan 19th, 2002, 04:07 AM
ebr

Hi Micia-

Jan 19th, 2002, 04:14 AM
ebr

Hi Micia-

Thank you for your answer. Carnivale sounds like fun.
What about Ash Wednesday? Will restaurants and museums be open as usual or would this be a good day for a day trip, perhaps to Orvieto? In New Orleans Ash Wednesday is a pretty somber occasion (but tourists usually ignore the religious significance!).

Thank you for any information you can give us.

ebr