Reload this Page >

Carcassonne- considering short 3hr stop

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Jenna

I am considering stopping in Carcassonne for just around 3 hours to see the walled city. <BR> <BR>Will there be other things there that I just shouldn't miss so I should spend the night? <BR> <BR>Is it nice to see the city only at night or should I make the extra effort (changing and cancelling other Must-Sees) to see it during the day?

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 09:50 AM
waste

I think that you will be in France. <BR>Right?

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 12:21 PM
Christina

It's hard to prioritize must-sees, why don't you look at their web site(s) and see if there's something else that is especially interesting to you: www.carcassonne.culture.fr or www.caracssonneguideregion.com are two of them, or www.tourisme.fr/carcassonne/e_visit.htm <BR>Lots of things are not open at night, of course, so you could not see the insides (ie, the Basilica); if your 3 hours are at night, I would want to see it in the day, but that depends on your interests in old buildings, architecture, etc. I can't think of any city I would think worth seeing at night only (except perhaps Las Vegas).

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 06:04 AM
Lesley

You don't say when you will be going. Carcassonne gets very very crowded in July and August, but most of the tourists are gone by evening, so you have the city to yourself. If you are going outside of July and August, three hours is plenty. If you do decide to stay overnight the Donjon is a nice hotel in the centre of the old city. If you have a hotel in the old city, you are allowed to take your car into the city (otherwise you have to leave it outside).

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 05:11 PM
Joel

My wife and I visited Carcassonne and Aigues Mortes, both of which are walled cities, but Aigues Mortes is on the Mediterranean on the barren salt flats of the Camargue, S of Nimes and E of Montpellier. We would take Aigues Mortes over Carcassonne any day due to the reality of it. Carcassonne is so refurbished it has a Disneyland atmosphere. We left after a few hours as it was just too overblown. <BR>Aigues Mortes stands alone on the plain, St. Louis launched a crusade from there and it is sooo easy to envision life at that time and to feel the place. One of the most worthwhile destinations in France imo. <BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 06:04 PM
tim

Don't argue, just stop. <BR>My wife and I lived in Montpellier for a year and know Carcassonne and Aigues Mortes pretty well. Carcassonne is simply wonderful. You need to hit the web site and see what is open. Often in France things close unexpectedly. Frankly, the goose liver there is some of the best in France (though it gets even better the closer you get to Tolouse). The views and the city itself are brethtaking, do it during the day. The mountains in the region are wonderful too. Drive up into the mountains to Castres if you want country or through Andora to Spain (Foix is lovely) for the high mountains and history...hey it is all marvelous. <BR> <BR>In short, plan a longer trip...its worth it. <BR> <BR>