Search

Carcassonne

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:58 AM
Julie

Carcassonne

Anyone visited here? I've heard mixed reviews. We will be in France next month so it would be off season. On other European trips have visited castles in Germany, Czech and Hungary. Have also been to walled cities of Rothenberg ob der Tauber on the Romantic Road in Germany and Czesky Krumlov in CR. Would this city still interest us? How did you like it?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:52 AM
Joe

Carcassonne is a very impressive Castle. Many movies are made here because it is in such a good state of repair. For maximum enjoyment, stay in one of the small hotels within the castle walls. You can only drive in if you are staying within the walls. The tour of the castle and ramparts is exceptional. The little shops are great fun. Had a great cassoulet in one of the little restaurants within the wall. We have seen the major castles in the countries you mention. While not as pretty as Burg Eltz on the Mosel nor as elegent as Kalmar in Sweden, still, it is a grand and interesting Castle to visit.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:36 AM
Judy

I agree with Joe, I've visited everything you mentioned and Carcassonne ranked right up there! Judy

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:23 PM
Rex

The negatives about Carcassonne, as I understand it, night originate from historical purists. Majorly reconstructed. But it isn't like they built it out of chicken wire and plaster of paris, is it? Any first-hand-ers' comments on this?<BR><BR>Burg Eltz, as previously mentioned IS indeed awesome - - and I think part of the appeal is that NONE of it (structurally) has been reconstructed in the slightest.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:23 PM
Nancy

Is it doable to daytrip from Arles? Maporama has it as about a 2 hour drive. I've heard it is best to stay overnight, but we don't have that option.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:57 PM
Randy

I spent about a half a day there three years ago. I was impressed. If you are in the area, I would not miss it.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:24 PM
Rex

to the top, to be near your other post of the same title.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1343100<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 07:37 PM
jahoulih

I spent about a half day at Carcassonne and had a delicious dinner at the Auberge Saint-Louis: about $40 US, as I recall, for six copious courses plus wine. One of the best values I had in Europe.