Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car touring in Tuscany without reservations.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Rick

I want to repost this question under the correct forum.<BR><BR>I am used to car touring in England, Scotland and Wales and being able to find a B&amp;B readily either thru a Tourist Info office or just by driving down the road and stopping at the next B&amp;B sign. Can I do something similar in late March in Tuscany? I'd like to not tie myself down to being in specific places everynight if possible. <BR><BR>Any opinions? Thanks.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:58 AM
jj

Yes<BR><BR>You should check out Agritourismo(sp) in Tuscany where you stay in farm houses. I just returned from Tuscany and in the country near Poggibonsi was a sign stating &quot;free room&quot;. As I already had rented a villa with family, I did not stop but have been curious ever since. Probably had to do a few chores for the room.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:25 AM
GRAZIELLA

Hi Rick, you sure can. I believe that March is a very good time to do it. Be careful that it is not Eatern, during that week including the Monday after it is very hard to find rooms.<BR>We do it often, staying not so much in Agroturism but in small hotels. There are many of these, charming not very expensive and for my taste better that agrotourisms because they are located inside the towns, often in the heart of<BR>them.<BR>Some times if I know the place I call the night before to be sure there is a free room but often we simply walk in.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 09:16 AM
topping

ttt

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Rick

Graziella, I guess I'm worried about driving in towns looking for a B&amp;B or Hotel having heard so many stories about how difficult it can be.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:22 PM
garynfla

Can I do the same type of no reservation exploring during the middle of May 2003???? Looking to explore for 2 days with reservations for Rpme, Florence, and Venice. We want to explore 2 days by car..Please help..

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Grandma

We've been traveling in Italy for over 20 years and often just &quot;winged&quot; it. Never had any problems. However, during recent trips I note that the number of tourists is up dramatically... and we usuallly travel in April/May or Sept/oct.<BR>(for example: in the past could just walk into Siena's cathedral. Now there's always a wait.) I would pick a central spot to travel from and get a reservation in advance. Since you have limited time, you'll want to use as much of it as possible for pleasure, rather than chasing a room.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Alice Twain

jj:<BR><BR>actually agritpourisms are quite similar to B&amp;B, he only differences are that they must also be operating farms (at least 51% of the income must be derived from agricolture) and that they often also offer dinner. Prices and quality vary a lot, though. There are lovely places that offer a decent room, a good breakfast and a terrific dinner for 45 euro per person and some that offer only a room (although more elegantly furnished) and a barely aceptable breakfast for twice as much. You are not supposed to do any particular chores, except sometimes straighten the covers of the bed if you are staying for several days and room cleaning is provided only twice or trice per week. Also often enough agriturismo offer additional services such as horse riding or a pool.