Car tour Wales - Never been

Jul 23rd, 1997, 04:27 PM
Bill Armour

Car tour Wales - Never been

First time overseas. Wife and I doing 8 day car trip arourd Wales. Snowden, Brecon already picked. Places to stay, eat, see on a budget. Have read travel materials. Thanks for the feedback

Jul 23rd, 1997, 11:00 PM
Tricia

Bill, See message I posted on 7/18 --starts out
'EUROTRIP GUIDE-- it mentions a website which is perfect for people using cars to travel around Europe-they also have a free newsletter they send to you via E-mail and two professional travelers who have books and newletters for people who want to see Europe by car--very informative articles and excerpts. They also have a book store, travel tips, international phone codes, European hostels, how to buy, rent or lease a car, especially in UK.

Jul 23rd, 1997, 11:23 PM
Al

Visit www.britishaventures.com--neat website with pictures of their self-driving tours through wales. Might show you if you've missed anything of interest. They have "sight of the month" and some other goodies!

Jul 25th, 1997, 07:31 AM
Leslie

Bill - I'm an American living in Wales. You didn't mention when you were traveling... but August 8-10 is when the world-famous Brecon Beacons Jazz Festival will be held this year.

Jul 27th, 1997, 05:43 AM
Bill

Thanks Leslie - traveling Sept. 11- 18. Any tips on local customs. Are credit cards widely accepted (AMEX). Do you have a favorite spot?

Jul 27th, 1997, 07:52 AM
Leslie

Bill - Grey seal pups!! I've read that you can see them in September, and the pictures are so cute! I can't wait! I know they'll be on the little island of Skomer off the west coast... but I would assume you could see them anywhere along the coast. Do you remember the cult 60's show, The Prisoner? 'The Village' where it was filmed is Portmeirion, and it's pretty cool. It's on the west coast near Porthmadog. Lots and lots of castles... Are you aware that there are no big roads in Wales, so driving is slow... for example, it took us 5 hours to drive from Swansea to Portmeirion. I believe credit cards are widely accepted, and you can use your cash card to withdraw money at most banks. I also enjoyed the 'Town of Books'... Hay-on-Wye located on the border between Wales and England in the Brecon Beacons. It's a little town made up of one second-hand bookstore after another. It has a population of 200, but a book population of 2,000,000. I may exaggerate, but it's pretty cool.

Jul 27th, 1997, 08:13 AM
Leslie

Bill - I was trying to think of things you might not have found in guidebooks... and I thought I should warn you that all the road signs will be in two languages, both Welsh and English. It can be distracting, especially because in the south, the English names are on top, but as you move further west or north, the Welsh names are suddenly on top. I have found that most people just *love* my American accent. And you will really enjoy listening to the Welsh accents... very singsong, and pretty. The people are my favorite thing about Wales... they are *so* friendly. Everyone speaks English, but you will find that you have to repeat everything you say, and they will have to repeat everything they say before you understand each other. It's great fun.

Jul 28th, 1997, 07:09 AM
Joanna

Bill I lived in the capital cilty of Wales, Cardiff, for 3 years. It has some fine buildings, wide avenues and lots of small independent shops that I am sure you will enjoy.
There are 2 things that I should let you know, not to bring you down about your holiday but because it's best to be prepared. The first is - it rains a lot in Wales. There's a saying that if you cannot see across the Bristol Channel it's because it's raining, and if you can see across it means it's just about to rain! So be prepared. The rain in September is often more of a very wet mist, but it can really come down.
The second is every cup of coffee I have bought in Wales has been truly horrible. They use cheap instant or those percolators that stew for hours.
So bring a waterproof coat and your own supply of coffee, and have a really good time!

Jul 30th, 1997, 09:34 AM
Heather

My husband and I did a driving tour of Wales in Oct/95. We stayed in Betws-y-Coed at a guest house which was formally the village police station. It was a central location to Snowden, Portmerion, and the castles at Caernarfon, Beaumaris, and Conway. Chester, although in England, is worth a side trip. We then travelled south and stayed in a farm house B&B. The room and food we wonderful but you are a little isolated. Close by was St. Davids and all the beaches. Oh yes, there are more castles down south. Caerleon (not sure about the spelling and even less sure about the pronunciation of most of the places in Wales!)is a good place to see if you are interested in Roman history. August is a busy time of year as the schools have just ended for their summer holidays at the end of July. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want more info.

Aug 4th, 1997, 09:24 PM
jay

We have five days planned for Wales beginning the last week of August '97. Will be driving from the Cotswolds. We know that Snowdonia and surrounding areas shouldn't be missed. What are your suggestions for a driving trip of this length? Anything that absolutely shouldn't be missed? Reply soon as we're leaving next week.

Aug 7th, 1997, 05:01 PM
Bill Armour

Jay,
Have not been to Wales, or overseas. First trip. Wish I could have been of help. Would love to hear about your trip. We are departing Sept. 10.

Hope you have a blast. E-mail me

- Bill

Aug 8th, 1997, 11:38 PM
Bill Armour

Jay,
Never been to Wales or overseas. We are traveling Sept. 10.
Would love to hear about your trip.
Please E- mail me.
Have a great time
- Bill

Sep 5th, 1997, 06:00 PM
Bill Armour

Leaving for Wales in 5 days. How was your trip? Any advice, suggestions, things to consider?

- Thanks

Sep 15th, 1997, 02:56 PM
jay

Sorry we didn't reply earlier. Unfortunately, we were called home on an emergency and never got to Wales. It sounds like a beautiful country to visit and now it will be your turn to entice us with information and facts for a future trip of ours. Hope you had a super time.