Car Rentals France

Search

Car Rentals France

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rentals France

Looking to visit Paris in September 2015, rent a car at the conclusion of the visit and head toward Southern France. Does anyone have recommendations for a car rental company?
Thank You
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:25 PM

www.autoeurope.com
Old May 19th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Call autoeurope rather than using the web site.
Old May 19th, 2015, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had no trouble with Avis, picking up Paris and dropping off elsewhere. They probably have an office not far from your hotel, the rates do vary so check around as one might save you 100Euros over the other and just be a quick metro ride further. How long will you need the car, are you dropping it in Southern France or returning it to Paris, and in which neighborhood are you staying in Paris?
Old May 19th, 2015, 05:27 PM

absolutely DO NOT use autoeurope. i used them in nice and they charged me for damage (after i was back in the states) even though there wasnt any damage and i couldnt fight it. they also did not have the car that i reserved but did offer me a substantially more expensive car. i agree that avis is good, although the lines in nice airport were so long that i am not going to try hertz.
Old May 19th, 2015, 06:11 PM

One post in four years and it's a complaint against AE. Good show!

AE didn't charge you. It was the rental agent in Nice (Europcar, Hertz, Avis). If you had the proper insurance, then it wouldn't have mattered.
Old May 19th, 2015, 06:57 PM

AutoEurope is a broker. They connect you with a car rental company. I would think working through a broker would carry more weight with the car rental company than just one individual renter.

Depending on where you want to go in southern France, it makes more sense to take a fast train south and then rent a car. It can be a longish, not so interesting drive from Paris.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:46 PM

Jeeze - rent through AuroEurope or Kemwel. They are the same company. We've rented 30-50 cars through them since about 1980. If there are problems with the "actual" car supplier (Europecar, Avis, Hertz, Budget) - AutoEurope/Kemwel will be your advocate. We've had many "issues" with "mysterious" charges after we returned the car (too may to describe here), and AutoEurope/Kemwel has always resolved them in our favor.

We rented 3 cars through them last year, and I have 2 reserved for this year.

Unless you are stopping north of Burgundy or Annecy on your trip south from Paris - take the train & pick up your car in Dijon/Annecy/Lyon/Valence/Avignon/Nimes/Montpellier/Aix.

Stu Dudley
Old May 20th, 2015, 03:08 AM

We used Europcar via Auto Europe in Sept last year. Pick up Lyon and drop off Paris.

We found the whole process easy and fairly priced with no issues.
Old May 20th, 2015, 05:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I always depend on AutoEurope for such things. The car is usually provided by Europcar.
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:04 AM

The other thing to think about is whether you actually want to drive to "southern France" or take a TGV for a few hours to get to southern France and rent there as suggested by others. All of France from the highway is not created equal!!
AutoEurope is the way to go.
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:28 AM

In France (Europe actually) I book direct.
Europcar, Hertz, Avis. With normal precautions (like taking pics before/after, and a pic of the dashboard showing fuel level and milage).
When in doubt I ask for the return papers, mostly I give them the keys and walk away.
Of course I speak French so if AE helps in the translation/relation why not. I did the same when I rented a car in Mexico : through a travel agent - was a good idea btw.
Mvg.
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used AutoEurope ever since I came across it on Fodors, they don't reach the corners of Europe but in the core they stand alone as good value and well organised.

I've been contacted if they thought there would be a problem and we sorted it then and there. They are pro-active.

In the UK we can buy cheap annual damage waiver insurance if you can access this sort of service do. Whatever you decide do take photos of the thing inside, outside and the fuel/mileometer with the engine running, go mad with your photos (make sure staff see you taking photos if you want), then any attempt at the usual "you scratched it" gets stopped day 1. Do find out what fuel return system they are using and if there is a local fuel station open when you return it.
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:14 AM

Another thought is to take the RER to Orly and pick up the car there-it will probably give you more choice of vehicles.

We have rented cars a lot in Paris itself and with the more "local" neighborhood rentals locations, I found that it was kind of hit or miss in terms of what kind of car they might have available. If you do rent in the city itself, I have had better luck with Hertz at both Montparnasse and the location that sits in the parking lot under the Louvre. As much as I prefer renting outside the city, sometimes it is more convenient with luggage to just get something "in town"