Car rental with bike rack

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2023, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know is it possible to rent a car out of Dubrovnik that would include a bike rack? Also, do rentals all come complete with GPS?
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 09:35 AM

I usually rent with either AutoEurope or Kemwel. I prefer to call them and speak with an agent rather than just reserving a car online. I would suggest calling both to ask what is available.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 09:40 AM
J62

In my experience, no not all rentals come complete with a GPS.

My (and every other) smartphone does come with GPS (all I need is a view of the heavens for it to work). You can download local maps (eg google maps) to your smartphone before you travel, and use it for navigating without needing to connect to the local network.

If you can't get a bike rack with the car, check at a local bike shop (to rent or buy), or find a sporting goods store, or online retailer where you could buy one...
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 10:25 AM

If you can't rent one with the car (and I think that is unlikely) you will need a car with a tow bar (hitch) at the very least so you can (hopefully) rent a tow bar carrier. Any other sort could result in damage to the car, which you don't want and actually such a rack may be banned under the small print of the rental. You need to make sure the hire company also provides an extra number (licence) plate that you can put on the bike rack.
Be aware of what the weight is you can put on the tow ball (not the total towing weight) and that if you have electric bikes you need a rack able to take heavier weights, and a ball that can also take that weight and the weight of the rack.
You also need to check on whether you need anything else to meet regulations.

So a rack like this:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...tory=undefined

Not like this: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...ck-539079.html
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How many people, how many bikes? Road bikes, trail bikes, ebikes?

If only two people, two road bikes, it might be easier to rent a vehicle with fold-down second row seats that can hold a bike or two (front wheels removed, gear-side up) and with a roof rack to hold the luggage (if necessary).
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 10:29 PM

no need for a tow bar use a roof mounted rack.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks
If you use a tow hitch you must not obstruct the visibility of the vehicle's registration plates and various lights. Thus there is a requirement plate for extra lights and maybe a square board to indicate a overhang

Personally I would find the largest vehicle I feel comfortable with and carry the bikes in that. Van or large SUV
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 02:54 AM

I always book online, usually with Autoeurope or via the airline website as a package. The optional extras do not tend to include bike racks. I have transported my own bike in a rental car because I got it flown over in a bike box, as long as the car is big enough, it will fit. GPS is an optional extra that you pay for when booking the car. When you book online, you get given a list of extras you can choose from, eg additional driver, snow tyres, GPS etc. Select GPS and the cost will be added to your rental, or you can usually hook up your iphone to the car and view directions and maps via the GPS screen on the car.

Old Jan 13th, 2023, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Bike rack/GPS

Thankyou, Everyone, for your replies and excellent advice. We will only have the one highway bike, so yes may be able to dissemble and put in our rental car. But, we had not even thought of renting a bike rack from a bike shop , with the rental agency’s permission.
In Portugal/Spain our car came with the GPS, as I supposed most of the rentals do, but will be sure to check that option. And we will have our phones with us…for the first time travelling!
What a wonderful Fodor’s group…always so much information and many suggestions. thank you again