Car Rental Venice?

Jun 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Car Rental Venice?

Arriving in Venice on a cruise ship - can anyone suggest the best place to pick up a rental car. Airport, train station or downtown???

Thanks for the help.
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Let me quote Robert Benchley, a famous (and long since deceased) American humorist:

"Arrived Venice STOP Streets filled with water STOP Please advise"

Venice is formed of a large number of islands, most of which are not accessible to cars. The train station is not, "downtown" certainly is not.

There are car rental agencies at Piazzale Roma, about the only place in Venice that is accessible to cars.

You may be able to walk from the Stazione Marittima, where I believe the cruise ships dock, to Piazzale Roma.

But why would you want to have a rental car and leave Venice instead of exploring Venice itself?
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM

I believe the OP believes he WILL be touring Venezia in a rental car! Good luck getting that Ferrari to shift down the Grand Canal! (sorry, I couldn't resist!)
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:37 PM

I believe AutoEurope offers a few aquatic vehicles. I believe the lot is under the Rialto Bridge.
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Please folks...let's give the poster the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps (just maybe) he/she is planning to go north, west or south after he rents car at the airport (dry ground) or the RR station (also dry ground)..how about it Obrayddd????

Stu T.
Jun 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Obviously I know you don't drive a car in Venice. We are planning on driving to the Lake Como and Lake Orta area and flying out of Milan. All I asked was a simple question of where to rent a car.

Search this Thread