Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental places in less odvious towns - Santa Margherita, Arona or Stresa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Mia

Ok, I've combed the site, and combed all of the car rental sites suggested, and can't find the answer to the following question: We are taking a train to Santa Margherita from Paris. We will need a car from the end of the Santa Margherita stay through the remainder of our trip, with a drop off at the end of the trip at Malpensa. Will I have to rent in Genoa? If so, ss there a car rental place near the train station? Our other option is to rent in Stresa later on in the trip. I can't figure out if there is a car rental place there either. I will call AutoEurope also. Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Mia

Dang, upon reviewing my post, I see I was having a dyxlesic moment. We are taking the train FROM Paris to Santa Margherita. In other words, we are arriving from another country on a train, so we can't get a car in one of the bigger placed. I don't want to rent in Genoa on the way in, and have the car sit for 4 days. Got that backwards.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Mia

Double dyxlesic moment. I couldn't read my own initial post correctly. You all get the idea. Thx!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Dayle

Hi Mia!<BR><BR>OK, now we have it. <BR><BR>We picked up in Siena & would have preferred to drop in SML, but there was not Avis office there. Closest offices were in La Spezia & Ravello if I remember correctly.<BR><BR>After using the car for a week thoughout Tuscany & Umbria, I had had enough of driving. We dropped the car in Orvieto on our last morning there & took the train to SML. When we saw from the train what a large city La Spezia is, we were really glad we were not trying to locate a rental office!<BR><BR>Your rental companies will be able to tell you where their offices are.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Steve James

Hello Mia,<BR><BR>TryBR>www.portofinorent.com<BR><BR>Alternatively -<BR>EUROPCAR - have an office at Chiavari.<BR>www.europcar.it<BR><BR>MAGGIORE - have offices at Lavagna and at Genoa Station.<BR>www.maggiore.it<BR><BR>AVIS - have an office at Stresa.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve