Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car Rental on Greek Island - Where to Keep It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2016, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

I will be renting a car for a couple of days (2-3) on Karpathos island later this summer. I've only rented a car once on an overseas trip, and that was in a place with a private parking lot, so I am unsure where to park the car at night while in Karpathos. I've done a little bit of Internet research but would love any advice on what you do with your car on a Greek island whenever you are staying, like I will be, in an apartment inside the city center where you can't park your car in a private lot. Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Any general advice here would be be so appreciated! I can't wait for my visit to Karpathos!
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 09:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
When I rent a car (seldom), in general, I only stay in accommodations that have free parking. A car and staying in a city center tend to be incompatible. However, assuming you'll be using the car to get out of the city, stay on the edge of town where you'll have parking and also access to public transport to get into town.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Luckily, the town where I am staying (Pigadia) is rather small, and the surroundings rather rural, so as long as there is something like a free parking lot, or even a place or paid parking, on the outskirts of town I wouldn't have a problem walking a few hundred yards to the car.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 10:34 AM

Karpathos and all Greek islands of that size have no criminality..
Park your car on the street, as close as you can to your hotel and you will be just fine.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to avoid any spots with traffic, but i am sure you will find plenty of quiet places to leave the car.

It won't happen on Karpathos for sure, but use common sense and don't leave anything in the car such as cameras, bags etc.....
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 11:25 AM

Just park where everyone else parks, which will probably be on the street. Paid parking on a small Greek Island? The local islanders wouldn't stand for it!
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Got it. I am glad to know it is a laid back environment - I just want to avoid ticketing/towing and of course ensure I don't park anywhere where passersby could nick or scratch the car.

Thanks!