Notices

car rental in paris

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car rental in paris

We are planning to rent a car in Paris for a trip to Nice, then would return the car to Paris. Can anyone please recommend a reasonably priced car rental agency? I've looked at Kemwel, but found their prices a bit high (97/day).
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Short term rentals are always a problem. A lot of companies require three days minimum. Are you going to be gone at least three days? Also, you don't say if you are renting a standard shift or automatic, which can get pricey.
The best price I had this year is www. its-cars-hotels.
I have used Auto Europe and Kemwel in France. This is the first time with this company so wish me luck.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Hi,
We just returned from that trip. We rented a standard, AC, Peugoet 504 and had it for 12 days and it was $660 (USD), from autoeurope. We picked it up at the Air France terminial at the Invaldies and returned it to CDG. If you are not going to see much of Frnace in between Paris and Nice, I suggest taking the train to Nice and then renting the car. By the time we got out of Paris and found our hotel in Nice, it was a 10 hour drive. I was very tired. It did save us money, even with the tolls, as there were four of us. It was great having the car on the Riviera and in Provence. We drove back to Paris from Provence and it was only about a 6 hour drive. I did not mind that, plus by then we had purchased too many things to drag form train to train to cab. Good luck.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 11:56 AM
jay

i agree that using auto europe is the right thing to do. i suggest renting at montparnasse train station and leaving town on a sunday (no traffic). get all of the insurance you can. there is alot to see on the way to nice depending on your route. try carcassonne and arles near nice.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Maira

If pick-up convenience is critical, then the Hertz location at Carrousel Du Louvre might be one to consider. Their quoted prices for my November trip were lower than Auto Europe, with the added advantage that we can walk from the hotel to the pick-up location versus the closest location of Auto Europe at Gare Montparnasse.

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 07:18 AM

I agree with Maira if you're picking up the car on a weekend. I did the exact same thing on a weekday and had a heck of a time getting out of Paris during rush hour.

However if all you're going to do is drive straight through to Nice do the train. You might be able to buy a prems fare 60 days out on www.sncf.com for less than a full fare. Faster and more comfortable than driving there.