Reload this Page >

Car Rental in Munich

Search

Car Rental in Munich

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:36 PM
H.Kan

Car Rental in Munich

I am looking into renting a car in Munich to drive down to Austria. SIXT offer a number of pick-up locations in Munich. Out of the ones listed below, can someone tell me which location would be most central or closest to the Marinplatz. Also, can anyone suggest other rental companies aside from SIXT? <BR> <BR>Muenchen Hauptbahnhof <BR>Muenchen West <BR>Muenchen Zentrum <BR>Muenchen Ost <BR>Muenchen Arabella Sheraton

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Rex

www.autoeurope.com <BR>www.its-cars-hotels.com <BR>www.kemwel.com <BR>www.travelocity.com <BR> <BR>Many "Fodorites regulars" (including me) believe that you may never need to go beyond the first company listed here. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Bob Brown

Der Hauptbahnhof is less than a mile from Marienplatz and it is on an SBahn line. For the the others it is hard to tell. My map does not show a pipointed location called Munich Central. <BR>And I did not take time to look up the location of the hotel. But, if any of the others are closer, then they would be within half a mile. <BR> <BR>Incidentally, I am assuming that the Marinplatz you reference is in reality Marienplatz.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Cassie

The Hauptbahnhof is definitely the closest rental point of the sites you listed. It is very close and convenient whether walking or taking the U Bahn from Marienplatz. While I have never rented a car from SIXT, I have used Hertz and Alamo from the Munich airport and I didn't have any problems. The roads in Germany and to Austria are very easy to navigate and well marked. Good luck.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Steve Mueller

The Hauptbahnhof is closest to Marienplatz, but if your hotel is in another part of Munich, you might want to pick your car up at another location. We used Auto Europe (aka Hertz) a few months ago and had no problems. The car we rented had a safety feature that would not allow you to put the car in reverse unless you pull up on a spring-loaded sleeve around the stickshift. Took me about five minutes (and a lot of cussing) to figure this out.