Reload this Page >

Car rental in Italy

Search

Car rental in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 02:45 PM
John Hazlett

Car rental in Italy

We arrive in Milan at 4:55 PM on Sept. 19. We plan to rent car at Milan train station to save 12% airport surcharge. Train station closes at 5:00 PM so we must get car on the 20th. <BR> <BR>Questions: <BR> <BR>How to get from airport to Milan? Bus? <BR> <BR>Where to stay so we can pick up car on the 20th early AM? <BR> <BR>Any benefit to renting car in Switzerland? <BR> <BR>If so, how to get from Milan airport to Lugano, if that is where we'd rent car? <BR> <BR>This is our first trip to Europe and so far it is more trouble than it is worth. <BR> <BR>Thanks for any help AND encouragement anyone can give. <BR> <BR>John and Carol Hazlett <BR>Laguna Beach, CA <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 03:52 PM
wes fowler

John, <BR>I can only respond to one of your questions, that which deals with Swiss auto rental vs. Italian rental. My information comes from the May '98 issue of the Consumer Reports Travel Letter, a publication of Consumer Reports. The weekly rental for a standard midsized auto in Switzerland averages $227.00 including a 6.5% VAT. The range is from $178.00 to $273.00. In Italy the rental average is $548.00 including a 20% tax. The range is from $320.00 to $796.00. <BR>Theft insurance is mandatory in Italy. <BR>Seems to me you'd be better off going directly from Milan to Lugano staying there and picking up a car the following day. By the way, all of the major rental companies have web sites; check out Europcar, Auto Europe, Kemwel in addition to the Hertz, Avis, Budget guys. <BR>Email me directly if you have questions. <BR>One final comment: you'll find that the beauties of northern Italy and Switzerland more than compensate for the "trouble" you're experiencing now. <BR>Bon voyage!

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 05:12 PM
John Hazlett

Thank you for your reply. I'll take a look at the rental companies you listed. I'm sure the trip will be worth the trouble I'm having now. <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 06:57 AM
Richard

<BR>

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 07:13 AM
Richard

John, Richard here, again. I'm still getting used to the new format. First, all your effort will be WELL worth it. <BR>I think your best bet is to pick up the car in Switzerland, the rates are cheaper and if you have a gold credit card it will take care of the CDW, at least mine does. There is bus service from Malpensa (the Milan airport) to the rail station. From there, there is train service to Lugano. If you can tough it out, and if you don't care about seeing Milan, try to catch a train that evening to Lugano. You can get info on the Italian rail system on www.fs-on-line.com/. I have a 1997 rate chart from autoeurope, weekly rental in Italy for a compact is $479, with mandatory CDW & LDW. In Switzerland the rate is $349, $239 without CDW & LDW. Again, all the planning is worth it and half the fun of the trip. Hope this helps, email me if you have any questions. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 07:57 AM
Richard

John, I just checked the Swiss web site, www.sbb.ch/index_e.htm, and it looks like it takes about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hour from Milano Centrale to Lugano. Re-read your message, the train station doesn't close at 5:00P, but the car rental might. <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 04:30 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>I just want to give you the words of encouragement you requested!!!! It will all be worth it, you'll just learn from experience, and be planning your next trip before you're home from this one. We travel alot, often with not much planning, and "just go with the flow". Even on our best-planned trips, we learn something new or figure out that we shoulda done something differently and just say "NEXT time...." <BR>Be careful at the Milan train station, that's the only place we experienced gypsy thieves (children). You'll have a wonderful time and soon be posting info to help someone else (and maybe posting an experience under an ongoing title on this forum about faux pas!). My best words of advice is not to consider Europe a vacation - it is an ADVENTURE!

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 10:14 AM
Carol

Dear John: <BR>All the preceding messages offer you excellent advice! My two cents worth concerns our July car rental through AutoEurope. We picked up a car in Munich & got a midsized Alfa Romeo for just under $300 for 15 days...The previous year, our car rental, a midsized Ford, picked up at the Milan airport (figure 10% additional airport tax) was $1100 for 17 days.

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 12:50 PM
anne

It's a great idea to go ahead to Lugano by train, spend the night, and pick up a car there. After the hassle you're experiencing with planning, I'm sure you'll enjoy the calm beauty of the gorgeous lake and town - it'll be a restful start for your wonderful vacation. Enjoy! <BR>

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 02:27 PM
Mike Miller

Very informative post. Has anyone tried the Italy Rail/Drive pass where they did most of their travel by train then got a car for say 3 or 4 days? What was the experience and cost like?

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 10:14 PM
Peter

Hi John, <BR> There is a better way than rental. Buy! Many car manufacturers have a deal where visitors can buy a brand new car tax free and they then buy the car back. Basically you tell them how long you want the car for, they work out the difference between your purchase price and the resell value and you pay the difference. All insurances are included. <BR> At least that is how it works for us Australians and it is a lot cheaper. I last went in '95 and for 45 days the car cost us AUS$1700 about US$1100. <BR> You have to get the car serviced (usually at around 1500km/900m) which is reimbursed by the company. <BR> I know that both Renault and Peugot have this system set up and the car can be delivered to many major cities around Europe and Milan airport is one of them. <BR> I suggest that you talk to a travel agent about it or perhaps check out the web for information. <BR> Good luck and as the others have said it is most definitely worth the little problems in organisation.