Car Rental in Ireland

Search

Car Rental in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental in Ireland

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Ireland for 14 days in June. This is our first time in Ireland, actually in Europe too, and I've been having a difficult time deciding which rental car company to use. Cheap prices are great, but I'm really looking for peace of mind that dealing with a rental company will go smoothly and they will be upfront about how much it will cost and what the cost covers.

I've looked into Dan Dooley, AutoEurope, Argus, Hertz, Thrify, and even booking through Expedia. Is it better just to deal with a car company directly, then to have to go through a third party? I've heard good things about Dan Dooley on the message boards, so I'm wondering if they would be a hassle-free bet.

I'm also concerned about what type of car to rent for 2 adults. Neither one of us drives stick unfortunately, so we would need to rent an automatic. I'm worried about the size of the car though, in reference to space for luggage because I don't want our baggage visible when we are traveling and stopping for meals and tourists sites between B&Bs. Any suggestions for economy, compact, or midsize cars?

Thank you.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I have used Autoeurope.com for my last two rentals whilst in Ireland and Scotland. I was very pleased with their rates, their service and the quality if the vehicles I rented. They have a sister company, Kemwel, http://www.kemwel.com/booking/car.cf...tedAgency=IYES, which I have also heard great things about.

AutoEurope.com has had the best rates that I have found on Automatic transmission vehicles.

I would suggest an economy car over a compact, as you will find that a little more room isn't much more expensive.

June is an excellent time to visit Ireland. The gardens are still in bloom and the tourists haven't started showing up in large numbers yet.

Use this site, http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/, for planning your routes and you will be in good shape. This site will help you find places to eat which might save you money,http://www.valuemenu.ie/control.asp. This book, http://www.irelandyes.com/book.html, is one of the best I have found for getting you around Ireland.

If you've not booked your airfare yet, consider flying in and out of Shannon, as it is the most easy to get around and through.

Enjoy your first adventure in Ireland! Remember to slow down and enjoy each place that you visit. Don't try to overdo it and see it all the first time. You will definitely be back to visit again, once is not enough.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
www.cowboycraic.com
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM

butterfly, if you call Dan Dooley's 1.800.331.9301 and mention IrelandExpert you'll get a 10% discount. I've used them two times and they were very helpful from this end and when I was in Ireland. Good luck.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM

I had your same concerns on my trip to Ireland a few months ago....my friend and I needed an automatic and I was concerned about getting a car that wouldn't fit our luggage hidden in the trunk.

I used Hertz O'Scannlain. Absolutely wonderful! We got an automatic for 6 days, requested a Toyota Corolla or similar (got a Hyundai Accent) and wanted full insurance coverage (super CDW) so we wouldn't be responsible for anything. The total price....$256! No hassle and easy pick up/drop off of the car. I would do business with them again in the future without hesitation!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM

We used Auto Europe. We got an automatic..even tho we can drive stick..but thought since we're driving on the "wrong side of the road" we'd have enough to think about without having to shift gears too. We also got a Diesel and boy was that a bargan!! Saved a bundle on gas, and it was just as speedy and easy to drive as a gas car. Drove a diesel in Italy too. Great value.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate the help. Not sure who to go with yet...looking at prices online between AutoEurope, Dan Dooley, and Hertz O'Scannlain. AutoEurope is the cheapest at $557.60 inclusive for two weeks for a Toyota Corolla, but it still says there are other charges (a full tank of gas, location surcharge, vehicle license fee, etc.)

Anyone who has used AutoEurope - does the vehicle get a lot more expensive when you pick it up because of these fees?

Dan Dooley is $862.77 for two weeks on their website for a Nissan Almera, and seems to include more in their rate I think, but I have not called the 800 number yet to find out about the 10% discount.

Hertz O'Scannlain was the most expensive. $1255.77 for the 2 weeks for a compact automatic. For this reason, I think we will go with Dan Dooley or AutoEurope...but thank you netak for giving me advice on their good service.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Give Kemwel a look too. I got a great price from them, but I always drive a stick over there.

http://tinyurl.com/yks56o

Kemwel is a consolidator and usually uses Avis or Europcar. Michele Erdvig recommends Kemwel in Ireland and her advice is very reliable.

Bill
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Last week I booked my car with Dan Dooley for 25 days. We took the CDW, a manual Ford Focus, and the usual package. My charges are $561 for 25 days They gave me the 10% off when I told them where I had seen the offer. There are many places where the 10% is offered. We always book with Dan Dooley, and I have never had a problem with them. Always checkout the vehicle before driving away. All lights, tires, scratches, mirrors, inside, and always figure out how the headlights turn on. This can be a big problem on some foreign cars, after the sun goes down. You can refuse the car they give you.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Bill -- the Kemwel rates look pretty good, but reading their terms, it seems that charges for extra drivers, as well as a Super CDW if someone needs it, might leave you at the mercy of the rental company at the time of rental. Is this the case, or are there ways to find these charges out ahead of time?

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM

I used Kemwel also and was real happy with my rental and rate. It was with Europcar. You could call Kemwel to find out how much the company they will book you with charges for an extra driver and Super CDW. Have them email it to you. Then look at that company's website to see. Kemwel Phone: 1-877-820-0668
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Everyone over there charges extra for a second driver -- $&-10 per day which adds up.

Most of them charge you for a tank of gas but -- I have been told if you return it full that will be refinded -- not sure if I believe them.

As for super CDW -- it is like your personal car insurance where you have a deductible -- all the regular CDW insurance has a deductible which varies by company and size of car rented but translates into $1,000 -$1,700 dollars. In most cases the super CDW reduces that but does not eliminate that -- to around $200.

AutoEurope and Kemwel usually require prepayment of the car but leave items such as the second driver for payment at pickup.

I have heard that Diner's Club still covers you in Ireland but that car does cost around $100. Still it may be less espensive than paying the insurance. One thing about Diners is that their coverage is better than any other card because it is primary coverage -- all the others only cover the deductible -- you have to make a claim with your personal auto insurance and that deductible you have is picked up by the other cards. With Diner's, they take care of everything -- you never get your personal insurance involved so if you rent a car often, I think they are a good way to go.