Car rental from Munich Airport

Aug 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
lvk
Original Poster

Car rental from Munich Airport

I know this has been discussed in previous threads, but I'm having trouble getting my searches to load. I'm currently shopping for a 2-week car rental from MUC and would like some recommendations and/or tips regarding the companies you have used. It will be 2 adults, 2 teens and we may be driving into the Czech Republic or Austria, but returning to MUC. Looking at maybe an Audi/VW wagon or similar.

We haven't done the research as to whether or not we need to get the insurance, so any advice along those lines would also be appreciated. (On past trips we have used one of my MIL's vehicles, but this time, we decided to go with the rental.)
Aug 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM

We rented from Avis when we were in Munich. We had a brand new audi with navigation and were very pleased.

If you are Avis Preferred you can avoid many of the long lines (I believe you can just join Avis Preferred, no fees required)

Aug 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM

We've used the insurance that comes with our visa gold.

I've had very good luck with autoeurope and last time we ended up with Avis. We rented an Audi wagon it was a great car.

A couple of times we've been given a Opel Merino, it was roomy, handled nicely, comfortable but not as fast as the Audi. But if you don't plan on seeing how fast you can drive on the Autobahn, the compact was fine and 4 people would have fit just fine.

Read what the rental companies say about taking the car into Czech Republic.
Aug 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I used Avis in Munich but there was a restriction about driving in the Czech Republic. Also, if you drive in Austria, you will need an international driver's permit (can be obtained through AAA).

I have additional insurance with my AMEX card (A flat fee of $25 per rental.)

I would suggest getting a GPS unit. If you are driving in the winter, request snow tires.
Aug 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Hi,

We've rented a car from (and returned to) Munich airport a number of times. Last year we went through:

www.gemut.com

and the year before we used

www.travelocity.com

We don't get the insurance with the rental co. and use our Mastercard. Call your CC Co. to find out the worst case scenario (in case of an accident, etc.) and what countries you'll be covered in.

Paul
Aug 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
ira

Hi LV,

Try www.kenwel.com, www.gemut.com, www.autoeurope.com, www.novacarhire.com.

Your CC should provide insurance.

Ask them to send you the policy.

Enjoy your trip.

Aug 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM

We've always done best on pricing with either www.autoeurope.com or www.gemut.com--as opposed to going directly to the individual rental companies; e.g., Avis, Hertz, Dollar, etc.

We did very well with nova (mentioned by Ira) several years ago, but they went through some changes a while back and we aren't certain what that means in terms of service and pricing.
Aug 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM

When I was checking this out extensively two Christmasses ago, Avis was the only car rental company allowing me to take a premium or van into the Czech Republic. Believe me, I checked with every company and only Avis allowed their more expensive cars into the former Commie countries. Now if you're renting a smaller car it might be a different story.

You do not need an international driver's license in Austria. Every cop there can read English and/or decipher what your regular license says. It's a scam perpetuated by AAA to make a few extra bucks. Don't waste your money.
Aug 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM

Does anyone know where I can find out what the legal requirements are regarding what a rental car has to be equipped with to drive it in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic in winter? On the forum I have seen recommendations ranging from a vignette and winter tyres (and some say an international drivers' licence - I see that Zeus says this isn't necessary - phew!) for Austria, right through to a whole suitcase of goodies including an orange vest, warning triangle, first aid kit, and goodness knows what else.

One of the car hire companies mentioned in this thread told me that if the orange vest, warning triangle and first aid kit were required, I would need to supply them myself as hire cars do not contain them. I hope I'll still have room in my suitcase for some clothes!
Aug 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM

Hi,

Our cars, that were rented in Munich and Frankfurt, a total of 5 times recently, came with a first aid kit, triangle but I never bothered to check or look for the vest. After 7 trips to Europe, I've never heard we'd need to supply our own.

It's not an International Drivers Liscence, but an IDP, International Drivers Permit. I always get one regardless of where we are (although it's always Germany, Austria and Italy). My opinion, $12 is not much extra (even though we never needed it) for a $$$ trip.

A "Vignette" is required for travel on Austria's highways. It costs about 7 Euro for a 10 day sticker.

Paul
Aug 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the info Paul. Would you be able to tell me who you hire your cars through?

Aug 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM

Hi,

We've used:

www.gemut.com

and

www.travelocity.com

With both places I called their 800 # to ask questions and make the reservation. Both were very helpful and I thought the prices and services were very good.

Both are "brokers" and we wound up with cars from Avis, National, etc. Never had a problem yet. Oops, did I just jinx myself?

Paul
Aug 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks for that. I've tried gemut, and I'll get hold of travelocity. I think the good karma of giving advice will overpower any nasty jinxes lurking nearby (lol!)
Aug 22nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
ira

Zeus writes,

>You do not need an international driver's license in Austria. <

Zeus is wrong.

Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM

Yes, Austrian law does require the IDP. Whether or not an individual policeman might or might not ask you for it is another issue.
But the point is that it is required by law and a policeman might ask you for it if you get into some sort of difficulty.

AAA is NOT making a killing on IDPs at $15 each.
Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM

I have used Gemut.com several times and I always felt like I got a good deal. One thing to consider is the surtax they put on rental cars from airports and trainstations in Germany. The people at gemut.com should be able to set up a rental that is about 10 min taxi ride from the Munich airport that will save you 19%. I think the nearest place in Ingolstadt but check with them to make sure.
Oct 1st, 2008, 11:02 AM

I had a great experience with Sixt. They rent "Holiday Cars" which includes all insurance at very good rates. If you reside in the USA, go to www.sixtusa.com and choose holiday cars.
Mar 30th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Hi, if you need more information about car rental in Munich try to find smth here:
http://www.talkmunich.com/forum/gene...ring-in-munich
Jun 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Emma, thanks for the link to TalkMunich.com!
it's a very useful site for expats and travellers, and really many topics r discussed in their forum

Good luck!

Search this Thread