Car Rental and/or train help

Feb 27th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Car Rental and/or train help

We've been checking out auto europe for car rentals for our trip. Just not sure what the best way to go is...
1. Rent car in Rome and drive to San G. where our next hotel is (5 night stay). Return car there and then take a train to Venice.
2. Rent car in Rome and drive to San G. and then drive to Venice returning the car there.
3. Train to San G. (or area) rent car for 5 night stay returning car at point of origin and train to Venice.
4. Train from Rome to San G., rent car and drive to Venice.

From you experts, which scenario do you think works the best? We're not afraid of driving in another country. My husband is actually looking forward to that adventure.

TIA!
Allison
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:53 AM
ira

Hi Allison,

It is not convenient to get to/from San G to by bus and train.

You will be better off picking the car up in Rome and dropping it in Venice.

Sounds like a lovely trip.
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:54 AM
rex

I would recommend rent in Rome, return in Venice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

I've learned so much from this site I just knew you were going to say that. Thanks!

Oh, another option to throw out there...
rent in Rome, drive to San G. drop car off somewhere around, maybe Florence? and then train to Venice.

The reason I throw this option out is a friend who lives in Rome said the drive is nothing special and it might be cheaper to just take the train to Venice and a little easier with drop-off and luggage and hauling stuff around to get a vapparetto (i know that's spelt wrong). ANy thoughts on that idea?
Feb 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM
rex

The train inherently can't be cheaper than the seventh day of a car rental; the seventh day is essentially always free (i.e., five days and seven days cost the same thing). True, ther is the modest toll on the autostrada, and maybe $20 worth of gas. Plus whatever physical toll, you think driving might take on you.

If for any reason whatsoever, you want to turn the car in to the Florence return, and shlep the bags over to the train station, to ride into Venice - - well, that's certainly a close runner-up second place idea.
Feb 27th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

So I've put my husband in charge of car rental since I did all the hotel work. Not sure if this is a good idea or not. Anyway, he got a rate quote of $350.55 for 5 days. This includes everything except gas. Is that a good deal? This is for pick up in Rome and drop off in Florence. Oh, they are also running a special that you get free cell phone rental (minus air time) with a rental.

~Allison
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:23 PM

I've done lots of research on the car rental options on the Florence to Orvieto route. Rate seems to be very dependent on type of car. I got a 5 day quote of $350 for a VW Polo and a $664 quote for a Zafira. You can get a smaller car for less than $350 or an Alfa Romeo for $100 more. All the options were making me crazy.

Yesterday confirmed the Zafira since there are 5 of us. I looked into the "free phone" rental--looked to me like there was a $35 shipping charge to get the phone.