car or train to orvieto

Search

car or train to orvieto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car or train to orvieto

We will be spending 2 nites in Orvieto (coming from Florence and leaving Orv. for C.T.). Is a car really necessary? Our hotel is in the center of town, but we may want to see Civita (sp?), and possibly a wine tour. Is this feasilble w/o a car)? Thanks, as always for your help.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Peggy, do I understand that you're traveling from Florence to Orvieto to Cinque Terre? If so, you may want to take a look at a map of Italy, because you're doing some serious back-tracking. Just a suggestion, but a better plan may be to see Florence and Cinque Terre before your Orvieto segment.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

It does seem out of the way, but there is a reason. (it has more to do with the beginning and end of the trip, this is in the middle. In any case, right now I am more concerned about whether or not we will be able to get around Orvieto without a car. Thanks.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:17 AM
GAC

You most certainly don't need a car to reach Orvieto from Florence or from Rome! The train service is frequent and inexpensive. Only Intercity and local trains stop in Orvieto: no Eurostars. Check schedules and fares at www.trenitalia.com

From Orvieto to Viterbo there are COTRAL buses several times a day, but Bagnoregio (next door to Civita) is a different matter. You can get to Bagnoregio from Viterbo in one hour with a COTRAL bus at 6:20 a.m., but there is no direct return bus, which means you might have to go from Bagnoregio southwest to Viterbo and then take a direct Viterbo to Orvieto bus. You can check schedules at www.cotralspa.it
Having a rental car would certainly be valuable to see Bagnoregio and Civita from Orvieto.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:41 AM
ira

Hi peggy,

You don't need a car IN Orvieto, but as noted, it would be a good idea if you want to visit the surrounding area.

For a wine tour, I should think you would get transportation as part of the tour.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GAC, I think I will price a car rental to see if it makes sense. I was just hoping to avoid the extra expense and hassles of renting. (insurance, gas, etc, since first time to Italy.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Orvieto will occupy a full day. I don't think that the expense of a car rental is worth it for the few hours that you will use it.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Civita is definitely worth an afternoon, but you should have a car to get there. It's a nice drive, but parking at the end of the walkway to the town is limited and it's pay parking. Take your change for the meters as the small restaurant nearby doesn't give out change! I enjoyed Orvieto and Civita more than the Cinque Terre on our last trip!