Search

Car Leasing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Leasing

Has anyone ever leased a car in Europe? If so, who did you lease from and were you happy with the outcome?

Would anyone recommend leasing?
Thank you.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:32 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Technically it's a "buy back" scheme, but yes, through Renault. (www.renaultusa.com)

We were very happy with the arrangements. The full insurance and affordable international drop fees helped a bunch. We'll do it every time, provided we need the car for more than a couple of weeks, which is around the break-even point on most size cars.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. It is really good to know that you have leased and are happy with it.

2 yrs. ago we rented for a month through Hertz, picked up in Milan and dropped off at Zurich. It was under $600, now they quoted me over $1800 to pick up in Paris and drop off in Rome for the same amount of time.
It was definitely cheaper when I checked the rate through renaultusa.com.
Did you handle everything over the internet? I noticed a promotional code box, do you know how we find out about any promos?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:17 PM

We have leased three times through AutoFrance, the program of "tax free" buy back leases from Peugeot. We couldn't have been happier. Althought there is a website, I generally do the actual arrangements through their 800 number based in New York.
One of the best things about it is that all insuranced is included, even a zero deductible. And you get fully equipped, brand new cars.

In regards to Traveler2's comment, yes, I know Auto France charged us about $ 300 for a Rome dropoff (but that was still cheaper than keeping the car for an extra week, not to mention paying for parking). But their drop off fee for Milan is only $60, as I recall. Of course their plan is even better if you can pick up and drop off in France --- any of a whole lot of locations.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 05:18 AM
MGB

Have any of you used/heard of Ideamerge Leasing? They lease Renault vehicles and when I went on line the price was much better than Renault USA.
Their web site is www.ideamerge.com
They also have a toll free number.
Any experience?
Thanks

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 05:25 AM
MGB

Correction to my above post. I just realized the difference was in the engine size. The Renault quote was for a Megane II 1.9 and the Image one was for a Megane 1.6. (Does this make a significant difference?)
Anyone know if a Megane would be comfortable for 4 adults with medium and small luggage, nothing over 24 inches?
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:14 AM

We used the Peuguot program for 8 weeks and saved $1700 versus rent. We were very pleased with the whole deal--as Patrick has said. We picked up in Madrid and dropped in Munich, but still saved a ton--with a new 406 car.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to Bob and Patrick! I have done a search and cannot find an AutoFrance. Can either of you please give the Web address.
Thank you.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:08 PM
MGB

Hi Traveler2 I had the same problem finally found it www.auto-france.com (Probably the hyphen is the problem)
Their web site has you send them an email for the quote unlike renault. I sent one about noon today, have not heard yet how their rates compare. The quote I got from the renault website was quite good considering it included all the insurance 0 deductible, no charge for extra drivers and 24 hour help service. It was about $600 less than DER or Autoeurope on a rental or lease. The only difference I noted between Renault and Puegeot was that if you want air conditioning for the car I was looking at you had to go with "premium" gas. Have not decided if air is necessary for September. We will be going to the south of France and Dordogne which could still be warm, plus there will be 4 of us in the car. Hopefully the quote will shed some light.
Good luck with your search.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

To MGB: Thank you for your help. I just sent a request for a quote.
When are you going in Sept? We are flying into Paris on the 23, and on the 24th we will then drive to the Loire area and stay a couple of days then to Dordogne area also. I hope it will not be too hot while we are there.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:11 PM
MGB

Hi Traveler2
We are flying into Frankfurt on Sept 9, spending a few days in Germany, Murren, Varenna, and then into France.
First Villefranche, Carcassonne and then we are going to the Dordogne. We arrive on the evening of the 22nd for 3 nights, leaving the morning of the 25th for Chenonceax. So we will be just passing each other. We end up in Paris on Sept 30th for a few days.

I got a quote back later today. The Puegeot car is cheaper by about $150 but I have to figure out if the car is about the same size for the 4 of us. I still have not decided if we need the airconditioning, for the south of France. Have you heard anything?
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:00 PM
dga

Hi Traveler2

I leased a car through Renault last year and was quite pleased. I picked up the car at their facility in Paris and dropped it off at CDG airport outside of Paris.The lease office in Paris is easy to find as you can take the tube to within a block.
This is the second time I have leased from Renault and I plan to do so again next year. The peace of mind knowing you have full insurance coverage is worth it and there are no hidden charges. I have rented cars short term from others and am always unpleasantly surprised when I receive my credit card bill. The advertised price always seems to mysteriously double.
I highly recommend Renault for rentals/leases over 17 days. Last year I leased the least expensive model and received a free upgrade.
Enjoy
Don
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Don: If you rent a car from renaultUsa do you have to go into Paris to pick it up? I thought that it could be picked up at the airport?

MGB: We stayed in Villefranche about 5 yrs. ago and we enjoyed it. We watched the big cruise ships come into the harbor from our room. It is a very quaint town. You should enjoy it.

If you read postings on this forum you will hear a lot of praises about Bellagio, I hope you get to visit it as it is just across the lake from where you are staying. It is another quaint town.

We have stayed in Locarno, on Maggiore and enjoyed it, and wished we could fit Maggiore into our schedule this time, but it is out of the way.

Enjoy your trip!
Kay
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 06:28 PM

I've leased both Renaults and Peugeots. The price is about the same, but Renault includes a 30% discount on many Mercure hotels on weekdays during the summer. But I am not sure that this was a permanent deal or an offer for leasing early. If you are picking the car up in Paris, I consider the Renault site more convenient than the Peugeot site. Everything is included in the rental price, but remember that you essentially bought a car and that if it needs repairs, it is on your time but not your dime--that happened to us last year.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael! I will check it out.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:14 AM
MGB

Kay

We are staying in Varenna but plan to do the ferry to the various other towns including Bellagio so thanks.

We actually were in Villefranche 4 years ago and loved it. We needed a stop on our way to Carcassonne so everyone voted for there. We will be spending 3 nights. We are staying at the same place the La Flore which has the view of the harbor.

We will only be in the Dordogne for 3 nights, staying in La Roque Gegeac. Hopefully it will be enough time to see the caves, villages, canoeing, etc.

I have to believe the car trunk will be okay. From the picture on Ideamerge you should be able to fit in at least 4 cases, but not the backpacks. The 4 of us going in Sept are all adults and to be on the safe side, we got the Scenic megane.

Europe is always an adventure and I know how we stress when we want it to be perfect, but less than perfect sometimes makes it more memorable. (Like the time we were in Florence and had our car towed away with all the luggage in it. We have this great picture of the 4 of us with the cops at the impound with big smiles on our faces- so greatful that we got everything back!!!)

Hopefully your trip will be less stressful than your worries about the car! Have a great trip and we will be watching for a trip report when you get back.
Regards, Mary Ann

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:25 AM
MGB

Kay

Sorry about the comments on the stress and trunk. I have been following car leasing comments about a trunk too small with a Renault and got the 2 confused!

Regarding the lease, we are going with air conditioning, with the 4 of us we may need it. I also did some work on gas vs. diesel on a separate post. I was trying to decide which would be more economical for us. If you search for "Gas" it should pop up. Everyone was very helpful. It seems you have to drive about 3,000 miles before the diesel would be better to recover the $200 difference in the lease cost.

Anyways have a great trip!
Mary Ann
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Mary Ann:
I just checked the year we stayed at the hotel La Flore in Villefranche, it was '98. We loved the small village.
2 yrs. ago we stayed in St. Raphael. My husband played golf in Sainte Maxime. This time I think we will stay at the St. Aygulf, next to St. Maxime. We were impressed with this hotel.

Still have not decided what to do about a car. It looks as if we will lease. Did you read Michael comment about if it needs repairs it is on your time! That concerns me as time is precious on a vacation.

I did read your posting on gas vs. diesel. I think when you do the math it costs less to go gas engine. Although I have read the praise of diesel on this forum.

We plan on being in Tuscany for about a week. We have been there before, on our last trip, but my husband was not feeling well so we did not really have a chance to explore. It is a beautiful region also.
Have a wonderful trip.
Kay
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:43 AM
MGB

Hi Kay
I went ahead and leased with Renault. I did learn a couple things after. Apparently the price (which is driven by the euro) is also based on 3 seasons, high (summer), low (winter) and shoulder (the in betweens). It is not based on when you take delivery but when you make the reservation (which seems odd). So if you take delivery in shoulder season but make your reservation in high season you pay high prices! Anyways I also asked about fluctuation of the Euro. He said that they do adjust prices but not that often. My concern in booking now was that what if the $ becomes stronger against the Euro. They do not allow renegotiation, too costly. If you cancel, they do not let you rebook.

Regarding repair, that could happen with a rental too!. Granted they would get you another car but that could take time, depending on your location. Last trip in 99 our last place before home was Paris. We had rented from Sixt (through DER). Well we had left the car in a surface parking lot a few blocks from the hotel in the Rue Cler area. When we went to get it to head to CDG we found a dead battery. Apparently we had left a door ajar (ford mondeo wagon). Went back to hotel Champs de Mar and called Sixt who was absolutely no help. There really are no service stations in that area. The desk man was arguing in French and German (we picked it up in Frankfurt and Sixt kept saying we had to talk to them). A lot good that would do hundreds of miles away. Of course no one had jumper cables.

Thankfully the desk man told us to go to an indoor garage near ours. The young man who did not speak English got the gist of our problem. The car was a manual and fortunately we had backed in. I had not known this but you can push a manual and pop the clutch a certain way and get it going. Problem was with them pushing (husband and Frenchman) I was not doing it right, and I did not have enough omph for pushing. We flagged down a jogger who helped get us going.
Bottom line a rental car company may not always be better and hopefully the car will have no problems. The insurance aspect is great. I meant to ask if the car had an alarm.
It is suppose to be a "new" car and as a result, less likely to breakdown.
In 1997 we bought a BMW and picked it up in Munich, drove it around to then be sent home from Amsterdam (my husband's dream to drive it on the Autobahn). Fortunately we had no problems other than some nerves about the car's safety at night parked (and the small scratch my husband got the 2nd day wiping off some bird stuff - I was glad he did the 1st mark!)

Leasing seems the more economical, it will save us between $300 and $700 (the latter with CDW) and due to extra drivers. I guess we could check out consumers reports to see if they have any info on the reliability of Renault vehicles too.

Where is St. Raphael? In Tuscany?
Mary Ann
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mary Ann,
St. Raphael is about 10 or so miles from St. Tropez.(French Riviera) It is a lovely drive along the coast from Cannes. Several places along the way you can look back to Cannes and Nice and it is a beautiful view. If you drive as far as St. Raphael then be sure to go on to St. Tropez. I recommend stopping in Ste. Maxime as it is a quaint village just before St. Tropez. We preferred it over St. Tropez.

Thanks for the info on renting and "season". I agree that it does seem odd. I assume we must be in the high season presently?

I purposely planned our trip to be when we would not be fighting crowds, however, I have since learned that when we were planning on being in the San Sebastion that an International Film Festival is going on. Then when I planned on being in Santa Margherita (next to Portofino) that there is an International Boat Show going on. Guess we are going to be following the crowds!
Kay