Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Car issues in Sorrento and Ravello: please Help!

Car issues in Sorrento and Ravello: please Help!

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Ashley

Car issues in Sorrento and Ravello: please Help!

Could someone please help with the following quesitons:

1) Do I need a car in Sorrento? (planning to take hydrofoil to Capri one day)
2) If I spend 2 days in Ravello, is it a good idea to have a car there (besides driving up to the town and back down - 10min each way?)
3) WHat is the best way to get from Ravello to Rome: Drive to Naples and take a train to Rome? Drive to Sorrento and train to Naples and then train to Rome? Or simply drive to Rome from Ravello?
I've already checked mappy.com, but any feedback would be great!

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:33 PM
dean

Having a car in Sorrento is both a pain and a great thing depending on how long you stay and what you want to do. If all you are going to do is go to Pompeii, Oplontis, Herculano and Napoli for the Museums and walking around, you don't need a car. Just take the Circumvesuviana.

But if you want to explore the Punta Campanelle (the area beyond Sorrento on the end of the Peninsula) and want to drive the Amalfi coast you will need a car. Having a car on the Amalfi is easy except for Positano and Amalfi itself. and even there there are parking lots (in Amalfi) and you can bus from Sorrento to Positano. There is a large parking lot at Ravello and I would rather drive up to Ravello then take the bus as the streets are so tight and twisty.

Another place you will need a car for is Paestum which we reccomend. It is a former Greek colony taken over by the Romans. The highlight there are the three Greek and then Roman temples. They are the most complete temples on the mainland. It is a larger sity than Pompeii and really is a wonderful place to visit. Our tourguide was Angelo and he is great fun. Plus on your way to Paestum you pass thru Mozzarella di Bufala country. You can stop at any store bearing the ABC symbol indicating that they are making traditional cheeses and get a sandwich and some fresh cheese to take with you.

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:40 PM
GAC

I agree with everything Dean has stated above. If you decide NOT to rent a car in the area, the best way to get to Rome from Ravello by public transportation is the following:

1. Take the city bus from Ravello to Amalfi (30 minutes, leaving hourly). Note that a taxi will costs you at least 25 Euros (and is not necessary unless you have heavy luggage).
2. Take the ferry from Amalfi to Salerno (NOT Sorrento). Alternatively, take the hourly SITA bus to Salerno. Ferry is 30 mins., bus is 70 mins.
3. From the ferry dock in Salerno, walk 300 yards to the train station. Take an Intercity or Eurostar train direct to Rome (preferably without changing in Naples). Check schedules in www.trenitalia.com for through-trains. I recommend reserved seats.

Mar 13th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Ashley

THanks for the info! Just to be clear, if we do rent a car, is it easier to just drive to Rome from Ravello, or should we turn in the car in Salerno and take the Eurostar straight to Rome from Salerno? Just trying to pick the easiest route.

Mar 13th, 2002, 05:38 PM
xxx

I'd say it depends on how you feel driving into Rome. I'd keep the car but ... driving in Rome is no problem for me. The drive from Ravello to the car rental offices in the Via Veneto/Borghese Gardens area should take 3 hours if one doesn't get lost. The drive to Salerno should take 40 min. Once there are through-trains to Rome every hour or so and the trips takes approx. 2:40 hours, it's not that much different with respect to elapsed time ... 1/2 hour, maximum?

Mar 14th, 2002, 08:19 AM
GAC

This is a personal decision. If you are going straight to Rome from Salerno, without stopping along the way (e.g. Montecassino), why drive when the train is frequent, cheap and comfortable?

Search this Thread