Car in Florence?

Search

Car in Florence?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car in Florence?

I just started planning a trip with some aunts/cousins to Italy in April. A few of them (who happen to be control freaks) love and have studied Florentine art, so they're demanding we stay IN Florence. I'm cool with this because I'm really excited to spend time with these family members, except that my previous travels to Europe have taught me that I enjoy the cities, but LOVE the countryside. So, I (and some of the other travellers) would really like the option of a car to drive through Tuscany on the days these people want to spend the whole day in museums.

So I'd like some help - I've heard that a car is necessary in Tuscany, as opposed to taking trains. Is this true? If so, how is the parking in Florence? We'll be there for 9 days. They already have several apartment options picked out, so a hotel with parking is not a possibility.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:16 AM

I have only rented a car while in Florence once -- and it was to meander and enjoy the countryside villages and towns in the Chianti area. For that kind of experience, a car is a must. For some of the other towns, trains are possible, but they may not provide the scenic wanderings you might be wanting.

I can't comment on parking in the historical center of Florence because tourists aren't allowed to drive in the center. (I'm just assuming that you're staying in the center, though.)
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:18 AM

Some places are better reached by train or bus, some by car. Here's a recent thread discussing some options:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rence-back.cfm

Read this thread to help you understand the trials and tribulations of driving in Florence:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m-florence.cfm
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM

If you want to travel the countryside I strongly suggest you rent a car. Your apartment rental agency can inform you of parking in the city area. I parked my rental car under the train station and other times in different garages in the more outlying areas of the city. It gives you a chance to see these parts of Florence too, where tourists rarely tread.

I don't like to be tied down to train schedules and like the freedom of a car.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I'm feeling like we can work this out - and it's VERY good to have the heads up on driving in Florence.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM

BrigitteMums - online, you can find a precise map on who is allowed to park where exactly in Florence. In the more outlying districts, street parking is easy, and you don't have to pay for it. You'd just take a bus from there to your hotel (bus plans and schedules available online, as well).