Search

Car??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 08:07 PM
carm

Car??

I'm planning to go to Venice this year. I will be renting a car. If you stay on the island, where do you leave your car for 3-4 days?

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 06:15 AM
howard

The obvious questions are: Why are you taking your car to Venice? Can't you take a train or just drop off the car? <BR>In answer to your question, you leave at the nearby town on the train line(the name of which escapes me) and take a train into Venice.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 07:14 AM
Rex

The name of the town that connects Venice to the mainland is Mestre, and you can park there but Venice is set up to have travelers arriving by car park at Tronchetto - - essentially an island that is one giant parking garage and the location for the ferry to dock, if you are driving your car to Lido di Venezia. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 02:31 PM
alan

Hi! There is a huge underground garage in Venice where you leave your car and shlep your luggage or check out the Hotel Santa Chiara [I think that's the name] in Venice it's the only hotel on the Grand Canal with a SMALL parking lot. I found it from UTELL a hotel booking service I use. UTELL has an 800# and can book hotels anywhere in Europe. enjoy alan

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 02:59 PM
howard

Alan: But, how do you get you car into Venice to go to that garage? There's no driving in the city. Please explain!

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 06:42 AM
Paul

You can park in one of two place: <BR> <BR>1) On the mainland, in the city of Mestre, as Rex explained. This is the less expensive alternative. <BR> <BR>2) In Venice itself. Once you cross the causeway, you come into Piazzale Roma, where there's a large garage (as Alan pointed out). This is the more expensive alternative. <BR> <BR>If you're coming from elsewhere in Italy, you might want to give up the rental in Venice, then pick up a new one once you depart. Car rental agencies are located in Piazzale Roma (we got ours there). If you're flying into Venice, don't bother with a car until you leave town.