Capri Tours and Excursions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hotel in Sorento (Maison Tofani) has a Capri excursion and for 75 EUR pp we get 8 hous that includes :
- Pick up back and forth to the Hotel
- Tour around Capri Island
- Visit Blue Grotto,White & Green Grotto
- Free Time on Capri Island
- Soft drinks and alcoholic
- Snack and Fruits
- Snorkeling equipment

For those who have done this type of thing, is this a good deal or should I find another excursion/do it on our own? Frankly, I like the idea of not having to plan how to get around the whole day!

Thanks for any help
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 04:28 AM

IWe did Capri on our own but stayed 3 nights so that made it easier. We had lots of help from our hotel while there. I don't see anything on the list that you can't do easily on your own. Visits to the grottos are dependant on the sea being perfectly calm. It has never been calm during our two visits but there is more than enough to keep you busy. Visit Capri town, Anacapri, Mt. Solaro, etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 05:36 AM

Well I do like to DIY as much as possible and you will have to do a bit of planning / transportation arranging if you decide to DIY BUT Capri is pretty easily done. You can taxi or bus to where the boats from Sorrento go over, probably buy a one way ticket so you can later pick the return time you want. NOTE the last boat back - you don't want to miss that. Once you get to Capri you can 1) find a boat / tour at the dock to go around the island on the sea and go to the Blue Grotto if it is open OR 2) hire a taxi to drive you around all day OR3) buy a bus ticket that you can use as much as you want to explore the island. If you decide to go on your own you can take the bus up to Anacapri and even onto where the boats go out to the grotto and then work your way back. I love the chairlift at Anacapri. Enjoy!
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 05:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Most of the ferries/hydrofoils from Sorrento to Capri cost 16-18€ one way.

It appears you are taking a private boat around the island so you are doing something you can't do on your own unless you hire a boat. Can you get a refund if they cancel or if the weather is bad? You won't visit a grotto if they sea is choppy.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I don't think we will get a refund as we they will still provide lunch and transportation but we will get money back for the admission to the grotto, that's for sure.

Maybe I should be asking for guidance on how to get around if I were to do it on my own. I have figured out the boat from Sorrento to Capri, but wasn't sure how easy it was to get to the grotto and then into the different parts of the island.

If you think I can get to the island, get around and do lunch for less than 150 EUR, then maybe the hotel excursion is not worth the trouble. Thoughts?
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 01:22 PM

Getting around on your own - I gave a brief answer to this on my earlier post. When you get off the ferry / hydrafoil you will be in the port area where they will be selling 'round the island tours. Ask if the Blue Grotto is open. You can either get a tour that goes all the way around OR just opt to go out to the grotto if it is open. If you do the 'round the island tour, you MIGHT be able to go into the grotto from that boat, ask. To get into the grotto you have to get from a midsized boat into about a six seater that goes thru the opening. The midsized boats queue up and float while the little boats load up and go in the grotto.

Another option is to get on the buses - you can take a bus to Anacapri, change buses and then go to a point where you can get the little boat to take you into the grotto. This had the advantage of seeing alot of the island riding around on the bus. But if you really like the water, go for the boat island tour.

Or you can rent a taxi for the day at the port. The taxi could also take you to the grotto access point and wait for you.

Try to take the chairlift at Anacapri for great views and a fun ride up the side of the island.

I can't really tell you how much the different options cost - maybe another poster will. I'm sure you would save some euros but maybe not a whole lot. The tour may not include the cost of the grotto since many days it ends up being closed. I'd rather pick my own restaurant for lunch - often those used by tour groups are not so great - but then I'm a bit of a oodie.