Search

Capri, Positano, Amalfi or Ischia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capri, Positano, Amalfi or Ischia

Hello!

My husband and I are traveling to Italy mid October and I need help deciding where to stay for two nights in Southern Italy before we head up to Tuscany. We'll be coming from Rome, but I can't decide whether we should stay in Capri or Ischia and just briefly explore the Amalfi coast (by taking the train from Rome to Salerno and then meandering down to Positano) before checking in that evening to our B&B or if we should stay on the mainland and just day-trip to Capri.

I am leaning toward Anacapri, but am concerned that we will have trouble getting back to the mainland and vice versa via ferry due to inclement weather in October.

I know everyone says "it depends on your interests" so here they are: new and beautiful sights, interesting things to explore, and quaint cafes and streets (so basically I can't go wrong, I know).

Will we feel "trapped" on Capri, or since we'll only be there for less than three days will we have so much to do and see?

Thank you so much!
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 06:57 PM
kja

I'm not sure I can answer your questions -- sorry! -- but I'll throw another idea into the mix: You might stay in Salerno, which is, IMO, a vastly underrated destination. It has an absolutely glorious lungomare, some extraordinary treasures in its cathedral, some exquisite works in its diocesan museum, and a maze of fascinating streets and walkways in its medieval district. AND it affords easy access to magnificent Paestum. And, of course, both buses and ferries to various places along the Amalfi Coast -- so you could plan your days on the fly.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2+ perfect days may be different from your 2+ perfect days. My priorities in order would be Pompeii, the coastal towns and scenery, Naples (esp. the archeology museum) and then finally Capri. Only you can set your own priorities, and in 2+ days you can't see (and enjoy) everything.

I would only feel "trapped" on Capri if the weather was bad the entire time.

You should check train and ferry timetables for your specific dates to see how much time you'd actually have in Positano and Capri (or wherever you decide to stay). Just FYI, I'd probably put Capri first in case you have a problem like a cancelled ferry when you're leaving the island on your way to Tuscany.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 08:35 PM

I like Kja's idea, but as Jean basically says, perfect days are different for each of us. Tough choices with only 2 nights.

Look carefully at how much time you really have there and do not overestimate it.

Don't underestimate total travel time.
It will take at least 2 hours train or bus time to get from Rome to most anywhere on the AC, plus time getting from your hotel in Rome to the station, plus ferry if you go via Salerno, and getting to your hotel, so about 1/2 day at least of travel, leaving
1/2 day for walking touring.
Next, 1 whole day.
Then, the 3rd day, you are heading to somewhere in Tuscany. That will take a good part of the day, so not really much, if any, sightseeing time on the AC.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 09:13 PM

It's all the well-trodden tourist path (except Ischia) and you can't predict the weather.

Capri is EXPENSIVE however as you only have two nights (and most of the first day will be lost in travel) I would head to Sorrento. It is easy to get to from Rome (two trains), it has the cafes and good access to Positano if you wish to go there. Salerno is another good option.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 09:57 PM
kja

@ Sassafrass:
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 04:54 AM

From Salerno there are ferries but I think only until September! But I agree that Salerno is a nice town to stay and explore the amalfitan coast.
You also can go to Vietri sul Mare, the first town of the amalfitan coast (5km from Salerno) it has a train station, there pass a lot of busses, to the coast, Pompeii, Naples and Salerno and it is not expensive like the amalfitan coast!
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 08:04 AM
ekc

The ferries run from Salerno to other villages until the end of October. www.travelmar.it for schedules.

I would train to Salerno, then ferry to Positano, check into your hotel and explore the town.

The next day is your only full day on the Coast, so you could spend it visiting Amalfi/Ravello, or Capri.

To get to Tuscany, driver to Naples then train to your destination.