Search

Capri Pants?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Anne

Capri Pants?

I have read a number of posts on herre suggesting to wear capri pants in Europe. I am not familiar with that type of pants (at least by that name). Can anyone explain what they are. Thank you.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 02:12 AM
hiho

I don't know what Capri pants are. But I do have a related survey for all posters to take. <BR> <BR>Please answer yes to ONE of the following: <BR> <BR>A - Have you been to Capri AND worn capri pants? <BR> <BR>B - Have you been to Capri but NOT worn capri pants? <BR> <BR>C - Have you NOT been to Capri but HAVE worn capri pants? <BR> <BR>D - Have you NOT been to Capri NOR have worn Capri pants? <BR> <BR>For me the answer is B. <BR> <BR>By the way, if you have any questions regarding Campania, please ask!!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Paige

Hiho, if you don't know what Capri pants are, how do you know you weren't wearing them when you were on Capri?? Answer for me is B, but I saw lots of women wearing them while I was there which I found amusing. <BR>Anne, I'm not a fashion expert but I believe they are women's pants, something between shorts and long pants, tightly fitted and fall just below the knees. Think Annette Funicello (or whatever her name is) and 1950's beach movies.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 03:00 AM
hiho

Paige - you make a good point in your first sentence. But after your clarification of what they are...my answer is still B! I guess it was a lucky guess the first time.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 03:42 AM
Karen

I can still remember a pair of bright red capri pants and a pair of hand-made thong sandals which I bought and wore on a trip to Capri in the '70's. The pants were at least two sizes smaller than my usual (the sales girl assured me that if I could zip them while lying on my back, they were the right size!) and the sandals cut my feet in half, but they somehow looked and felt just right while I was there. Once I got off the island, I looked at these articles of clothing with bewilderment and never wore them again! I think the island bewitched me.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Jean`

Anne: <BR>Paige is right about what capri pants are, except not all are tight. They fall anywhere from just below the knee to a couple of inches above the ankle. Some are tightly fitted; some are looser. When I was in Italy last month, I saw tons of women wearing capris and sandals. Most men (including my husband) seem to hate them, but I love them! They're very popular right now.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Jody

If you are older you probably called them <BR>pedal pushers!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Judy

Anne, I love capris, cropped pants...whatever.....they are a perfect alternative to the shorts/pants controversy IMO.....Jody: I remember the term "clamdiggers" too! Boy, does that age me...... ;-) Judy

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 05:31 AM
ilene

to follow up on the last post, it does seem strange that most men hate capri pants. I love them, they are comfortable and you look more dressed up than wearing shorts but remain cool. Could some men out there please explain the aversion?

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:07 AM
missy

Forget capri pants - let's hear it for Skorts!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Joanne

When "capri pants" first arrived on the fashion scene, those many years ago, we also called them toreador pants. Mid calf length in many fabrics and colors. <BR> <BR>As I noted on another thread when someone asked what they were, "Don't ever throw any clothes away; they soon return to the fashion scene." The only problem in my case is that they wouldn't fit anymore!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:53 AM
dan woodlief

Ok, I will give you a man's opinion. Actually, I like the tighter fitting ones better (figure it out) but am really not against any ot them. Believe it or not, I remember seeing a long comment from another man on the Internet regarding why he thought they were not appealing. He said they were revealing just enough that he wanted to see more (so not as good as a skirt) and not long enough to be pants. In other words, they confused the heck out of him. I like Capri too but haven't been there. Begs the question: Do you have to wear Capri pants on Capri or Bermuda shorts on Bermuda to fit in with the locals? <BR> <BR>I think this post shows that I really stick to my guns when I say I always give my real name and address.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:59 AM
JOdy

I think Joanne , Judy and JOdy have all given their age away.. Mine wouldn;t fit either Joanne!!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Thyra

Weird, my husband love capri pants on women... true to form, I think he prefers the tighter ones. If you are sure the retailer Old Navy has been running a bizillion ads for capris with a slight flare at the cuff. You can also get them at any department store and should not have to spend more then $25.00 for them, in late summer sales, unless of course, you live in NYC and shop up town.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Thyra

Oh Boy, was that a wacked out post... must be really here in LA.... try my husband LOVES capri pants... and try "if you are UNsure".....sorry all.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Annette

I remember thinking back when Capri pants came back into vouge years ago now, "There is no way I'm ever wearing those dorky pants outta' 1965." Now they look great to me and I wear them all the time. Go figure. Fashion is tyranny.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Chris

Skooter skirts. There ya go. Yep, I'm THAT old.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 10:22 AM
ItFigures

My husband does not like capri pants. He says they only look good on Ally McBeall-skinny women.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 10:36 AM
elvira

I'm old enough to remember toreador pants and skorts. And those currently popular pants have been called pedal pushers (1950's - see "poodle skirts"), then capri pants (early 60's - see "Brigitte Bardot" and "Audrey Hepburn").

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 11:20 AM
John

Man's View - the reason we don't like them is we forget what they are because you have dozens of names for them. When we get confused, we get grumpy; when we get grumpy we often answer questions like "Dear, how do you like my Capri, Pedalpusher, Toreador, Clamdigger, etc. pants?" with something like "who cares!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -