Search

Cantabria and Asturias over New Year's Eve

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cantabria and Asturias over New Year's Eve

Hi all,

I'm completely new in this forum. I found out about it 2 or 3 days ago, and, having all the reservations already made, I'm now thinking about changing some of them thanks to the so precious information I found here.

We live in San Sebastián and, knowing about the wonderful inns and charming hotels in Cantabria and Asturias, we decided to organize a trip over New Year's Eve. Please let me know what you think of the chosen places:

1st day: Travel from San Sebastián to Cantabria, visit Escalante, Santillana del Mar and Comillas.
Accomodation options:
Parador de Limpias (I'm not sure about this one because it looks wonderful in the Paradors' pictures but I read that it is located in a very industrialized area.)
Parador de Santillana Gil Blas
Hotel San Román de Escalante (out of the 3 I think this is the one I like most, but this first day I would like to visit Comillas and Santillana del Mar. Is the hotel worth coming back from Santillana del Mar to stay there overnight? Anyway, if we decided not to stay in it, we would visit it for lunch time, as I read that both the hotel and the restaurant are very nice.)

2nd day: from Cantabria to Cangas de Onís, through San Vicente de la Barquera, Llanes and Ribadesella.
Acommodation options:
Parador de Cangas de Onís
Hotel Aultre Naray
As I'm not able to make up my mind, I'm thinking about staying one night at each place, as we want to stay 2 nights in Cangas de Onís. Have you been to any of those hotels?

3rd day: from Cangas de Onís to Covadonga and the Lakes, and back to Cangas.

4th day: from Cangas to Taramundi, through Cudillero, Luarca and Puerto de Vega.
Accomodation:
Hotel La Rectoral

5th day: From Taramundi to Figueras (opposite Ribadeo.)
Accomodation: Hotel Palacete de Peñalba (2 nights, as we are spending New Year's Eve in this hotel.)

6th day: from Figueras to Viveiro through the Galician coast, and back to Figueras.

7th day: From Figueras to East Asturias or West Cantabria.
On this day, we were thinking about staying in Gijon, at the Parador, but since I read from you that Gijón is not so nice and very industrialized, I'm trying now to find another place. As next day we want to visit Potes, I'm considering to stay either in Ribadesella, Llanes or even near Potes. Any hotels or inns recommended?

8th day: visit Potes and Cabarceno and head to Villacarriedo (Cantabria).
Accomodation: Hotel Palacio de Soñanes.

9th day: end of the trip, back to my beloved city San Sebastián.

I would like to choose some very special places to visit and where to stay, as this trip is a present for my parents and I really want them to enjoy it as much as possible.

Please post your comments on the itinerary.

Many thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Hi Igolo,

regarding Limpias, I would discard it, mainly based on the places you want to visit. Just to help you a little bit, it is located near Laredo, and it would mean driving back after visiting Santillana and Comillas. I would think of looking for a place in Santillana, Comillas or even San Vicente de la Barquera.

I have been a couple of times there, and I don´t find it extremely special. I think there are better paradores in the north.

Rgds, Cova
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM

I wouldn't worry about Limpias being too industrialized: my last visit there (to see Cristo de Limpias) I got off a FEVE train and walked across a bridge that a herd of Dairy cows had just crossed: 'cow pies all over the place!' The Cristo de Limpias Crucifix is in a Church just across from the Parador: worth a stop for religious significance for your parents.

Like Cova, I think you should probably continue and perhaps stay at one of the Paradores in Santillana del mar (there are two).

Be sure to see Gaudi's 'Caprichos' in Comillas; and if you're there on a Thursday there's an open air market.
Of course there's also the Archbishop's Palace and the Universidad Pontifical.

If winter 2006 is anything like 2005, some of your plans might have to be changed along the way: Covadonga, for example, may not be accessible. You should be able to make it to Potes (one of my favorite places) as long as the 'white knuckler' Gorge of the rio Deva doesn't turn you back. Fuente Dé, on the other hand may not be accessible unless you drive a 4X4.

If you make it to Liebana, treat yourself to a steaming hot Cocido de Liebana and some of their great cheese for dessert.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:30 PM

I am so envious of you living in San Sebastian. My favorite. My favorite for pintxo? Rojo y Negro.

What a great trip plan - bouncing between the dcoast and the mountains.

Santillana del Mar is very nice but quiet in the evenings. Fine with me. didn't stay at Gil Blas but a walk through looked very good. An early morning walk thru the older part of town in special, especially if there is a bit of fog.

I liked both Llanes and San Vicente but didn't stay in either. Downtown Llanes around the harbor has a number of good places to eat. Didn't seem to be as many tourists as other places but when you are going that won't be a problem.

I also liked Luarca very much. Somewhat similar to LLanes. Don't miss the view back to town from the cemetary atop the hill. Would love to spend some time in Luarca.

Liked Potes alot. Worth the effort to get there.

Wonderful area. Unlike a lot of places the "space" between towns is also very interesting.

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Hola Igolo,
On the one hand, I think Cangas has one of the best Paradores. Potes is highly recomended, and from there go to Fuente De is a must, what incredible views!!!!
I'll be in Covadonga for New Year's Eve, at Pelayo Hotel, I´ll let you know and, perhaps, we'll meet ourselves there
On the other hand, San Vicente was very disappointed because of the crowds, but I was there in August, and I ate the worst meal I've ever taking in north of Spain (being you from San Sebastian, no need to add anything more my friend).

Anyway, I'm sure you´ll enjoy the trip
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM

we didn't stay there but the parador at Cangas be Onis is suprisingly close to a busy road so I wonder how peaceful it is.

Diz01
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 09:57 AM

The Parador at Cangas is set back from the road and I found it to be very peaceful and quiet.

Remember that there are two paradors very close to one another in Santillana. I was unable to get into the older, Gil Blas, but found the newer one to be excellent. We spent two nights in Santillana but next time I would spend only one night as the town is very small and can easily be visited in one afternoon. I think the best eating is not in the town, as most of the places there seemed very tourist-oriented. We did not eat at the parador, so I have no idea about that experience.

Have you read about the restaurant Casa Gerardo west of Oviedo? I have heard some excellent things about the place..perhaps someone more familiar with the area can tell us more...
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 10:28 AM

I recommend 100% the Parador at Cangas de Onis. Stayed there for 2 nights 2 years ago and it was the highlight of my trip! I stayed at one of the "Zona Monasterio" rooms and it was lovely, with a canopy bed and huge bathroom. Yes, it is near a road but that was not an issue at all.

Ask for a room that faces to the back( the garden and river). There is a section of the hotel that faces their parking lot. I would have not like that.

While in Cangas I toured Covadonga and the lakes. It was beautiful and I was blessed with lovely weather. But this was in the summer.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your help. I’m now fixing the itinerary and hope to have it finished as soon as possible.

Cova, Nedsireland, I will follow your suggestion and leave the Parador de Limpias for another trip.

Nedsireland, hopefully the weather will remain as it is right now. Day after day we have sunshine and temperatures that reach between 20 and 25 degrees. Really exceptional for this time of year! I don’t mind if it’s a little bit colder, but I wouldn’t like to miss Covadonga, the Lakes or Potes region for any reason.

Weber6560, thank you very very much for your compliments on San Sebastián. I hope you can visit us again soon. As for the Rojo y Negro bar, I like it very much, but the pintxos bar I like most in San Sebastian is the Aloña Berri, in Gros, near the Bar Bergara. All the pintxos there are delicious, year after year they win national and regional prizes, and they have a pintxos menu, consisting on about 12 pieces, that is to die for.

Josemacall, hope you also enjoy your stay in Covadonga. We were actually thinking about spending New Year’s Eve in Cangas de Onís, but by the time I tried to make a reservation in hotel Aultre Naray, they were already fully booked.

Diz01, Ekscrunchy, Cruiseluy, we will stay for sure at least for 1 night in Cangas de Onis Parador. As for the room recommendation, I will make sure to ask for the ones facing the garden and the river, thanks for the tip.

Ekscrunchy, I was already thinking about Casa Gerardo, I read that their “Fabada Asturiana” and “Arroz con leche” are unbeatable. Indeed, as a very typical citizen of Basque Country, I’m such a foodie that the itinerary I’m preparing includes multiple visits to restaurants that are very well recommended.

I’m really looking forward to doing this trip, hard to wait more than 1’5 months yet!