Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can't miss restaurants (and pubs) in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! 6 of us in our late 20s will be in London for 3 nights and would love to know what restaurants are "hot" right now. I'm a bit of a foodie and enjoy both the trendy and classically good restaurant in a large city like London. Any recommendations? Also, what are your "can't miss" pubs?
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:08 PM

I loved BIBENDUM at the Michelin House, 81 Fulham Rd. The food is :modern "Euro-Brit" and during lunch they offer a set price 3 course menu. Service is excellent, the place is bright and modern and the food at perfect. A nice treat while shopping at the Brompton Cross neighborhood. Be sure to visit the Conran Shop which is also in the same building.

http://www.bibendum.co.uk/

I also recommend subscribing to Zagat.com where you can find, search and print restaurants according to your criteria.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:12 PM

Club Gascon is terrific, with small plates of wonderful noveau French food and much friendlier service than you'd expect in such a trendy restaurant. Great wine list, too. St. John is also a really unique place to go, if you like modern British food. There are some really good "gastropubs" in London - check Time Out for recommendations.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:14 PM

Well, darling, the restaurant with all the "buzz" in London right now is Jamie Oliver's FIFTEEN, which is in Hoxton. But, unless you know the right people, you have to book months in advance. (My aunt ate there and loved it because she craves a good scene.) I will give you my personal favourite London restaurants. But, beware, because I am rather posh and have Krug and beluga tastes, sweetie. (I was born in London, but now live in Philadelphia.)

Gordon Ramsay, Ivy, Caprice, Connaught, St. John, Lemonia, Veeraswamy, Spoon, Quo Vadis, Groucho Club. Sorry, but I don't do public houses. Ciao
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 02:08 AM

The Savoy Grill has recently been relaunched and the reviews seem pretty good. The new chef is Marcus Wareing a protégé of Gordon Ramsay.

You'll probably have to book a bit in advance though. I failed to secure a 8:30pm booking 2 weeks in advance for a Tuesday night!

For some very good offers as well as ability to book pretty good restaurants, have a look at www.toptable.co.uk.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:21 AM

Do a search on London Restaurants ,Also check out Chowhound.com international section A great place for groups woud be Wagamama Japaneese noodle house they are very popular.www.wagamama.com and Indian food in London is very In For great Indian food try Zaika. London Zagat guide or timeout guide London .when you arrive some place have mini menu cards from all the restaurants on them in your hotels.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:18 AM

Ate in Savoy Grill a few weeks ago, right after it reopened. To us it is the ultimate "British Experience". Excellent food and service and keeps being British rather than "European or Continental". Has price fixed menu but the bill does run up. Our favortie restaurant in London for many years.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:22 AM

Since you are in your late 20's and not loaded (presumably), a nice area to check out is the Canary Wharf area. We liked it - lots of open bars and cool people. The restaurants along the waterfront are good. Basically, we liked the vibe.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 05:43 AM

For some good pubs Try Fleet Street .The old bank of england pub ,Tippeary Pub oldest Irish pub in London, Blackfriers pub all easy to reach from Blackfriers tube station . all have a good atmospher and history to them .
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:15 AM

We missed the can't miss restaurants, but do enjoy the pubs. The Albert was good for lunch and a pint. Enjoyed the Lamb and Flag for a pint after visiting Covent Garden. Ye Ol' Cheshire Cheese is also worth a visit. These are all historic pubs, but there are so many more. I visited all of these during the day or late afternoon. Don't know if they have much nightlife. I also enjoyed evening pub walks along the Thames and Chelsea, makes for a fun and informative evening.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your recommendations! We have booked a night at the Ivy. Would like to do Italian one night - which do you all prefer:
Il Sorriso, DaMario, DaPaolo or any others? Would like something cozy and family-run-type vs. upscale. Thank you!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Try Soho Spice in Soho. It a good modern Indian restaurant with great service and good prices!