Can't get excited about Venice...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in June I will be on my honeymoon in Europe for a month and we are spending part of it in Italy. So far we have 1 night in Milan (a stopover), 4 nights in the Cinque Terre and 5 nights in Rome. From Rome we plan on taking the train to somewhere early in the morning and having that day and then the next day before we take a night train to Munich.

I had planned on going to Venice for the 1.5 days, but no matter how much I try to get excited, I just can't. I have been to Florence and future hubby is not interested in art museums so we don't plan on going there.

I have looked at Bologna and get more excited about that that Venice. Is something wrong with me? haha Should I stick to my gut and go to Bologna or should we go to Venice because everybody else says it is a much see? I guess with Venice I am worried about the heat and water mix in mid-June and just too many tourists after being in Rome.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
yk

There are lots of Venice defenders here; but I'm not one of them.

We went to Venice for our honeymoon in Oct 05, and my husband enjoyed it more than I did. I had previously been to Venice twice already, and I actually enjoyed that even when one visit was in late July!

But in 05, I thought Venice was overpriced and overrun with tourists, even though this was late October. It is almost like Disneyland to me, except that it's 500 years old. My husband liked it more because he loves the water and enjoys the lack of roads/cars.

You can always go to Venice on a future trip. If you want to go to Bologna, go to Bologna.

[I wanted to go to Vienna for our honeymoon but DH chose Venice instead. The following year, we went to Vienna and we both loved it.]
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM

I have never been to Bologna but Venice was magical for me. It is surreal. 1.5 days will not be long if you hate it and you might just fall in love and wish to return.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Venice is the experience. My three children and I went to Italy last May, my son loved Rome, middle daughter loved Florence and my youngest daughter loved Venice. Yes, its crowded, yes, it touristy but arriving at the train station and walking outside seeing the Grand Canal and realizing the history behind this place is priceless. Its once in a lifetime, dance in Plaza San Marco at night with your new husband, hop on a vaporetto and visit the winding streets near the Rialto, have great fish in Dordorso (sp?) - go to Bologna on your next visit.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<should we go to Venice because everybody else says it is a much see?>

Well I think you should go to Venice, but NOT for THAT reason -lol!

But because it is an amazing place, seeped in history, completely unique. That said, sounds like you have a pretty bad attitude against it in advance, so I won't try to convince you to go.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM

I don't think I would ever be accused of being a romantic but--Venice is quintessential romantic and aside from your very brief visit, I would definitely include it.

What I would be more concerned with is your intended "overnight train" to Munich-ugh!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I'd go to Venice because it isn't going to be there forever. It is a very interesting and historic city. I'm sorry you are so jaded as to not appreciate it even for a day and a half. Life must be hard. I actually feel the way you do about Rome, but would "have" to do it for its place in history also.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM

I am not a Venice lover, either. In fact, I found the crowds
oppressive, However, if you only have two days, you may just remember the beauty of your surroundings and forget about the
absurd prices, crowded conditions and rudeness of the workers.

In fact, since you seem aware of the shortcomings of Venice,
those shortcomings may not bother you much.

Pat
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I cannot thing of any city that is a more appropriate place to spend a honeymoon than Venice.
Having said that, I'm also a huge fan of Bologna!
So, either way, you can't go wrong!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Given that this is your honeymoon trip and that you have some trepidation about Venice anyway, I would skip it. When I am honeymooning, I always like to limit the travel disaster opportunities if at all possible! Focus on what will make your time together most enjoyable. Of course there is always the option of looking for a fight, because then you can enjoy great make-up sex afterwards. That could work too.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM

If you don't want to go, don't.

I think Venice is great! My favorite sites are inside the Duomo when the lights are on (masses and some other times) and wandering aimlessly at night down quiet cannal side streets and squares.

We were there in October and it can be crowded with tourists even then. It's such a unique place with so much history, I would hate to miss it.

If your in Balogna already, your nearly next door.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Nepenthe seems to have experience with "honeymooning," which implies multiple honeymoons. ;-)

I'd go to Venice. Seriously, Bologna doesn't even rank on the same scale, regardless of the crowds. Just go to Venice and wander with the crowds, against the crowds and away from the crowds -- it's a great city to get lost in. And each time I've been, it was August.

Considering how many Germans visit it, a trip to Venice will also help you prepare for Munich too.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
LJ

I had visited Italy 6 times and then lived near Rome for over a year before I ever visited Venice. The circumstances couldn't have been less ideal. I was one of a group of teachers supervising (herding was more like it) 100+ teenagers who were 4 weeks from graduation and wanted do anything rather than listen to guides tell them about Venetian history. Plus it was cold and rainy.

It was still magical, beautiful beyond words, compelling and, yes, romantic. DH and I have subsequently gone back 3 more times (without the whiney kids) and are looking forward to 2 weeks in an apartment there.

Don't close your mind. I like Bologna, too, and the food is both less expensive and arguably better than Venice, but Bologna is a big college town and similar to other big towns like that all around the world.

Go to Venice and make a honeymoon memory...
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:02 AM

IMHO Venice has to be seen, but one visit is enough. Too touristy for my liking and not reflective of the "real" Italy.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice so far!

macanimals- Is that night train really that bad? I'm not sure how else to get to Germany without an 7-8 hour day train. I've only taken a night train from Florence to Paris and it was a decent experience.

It looks like Venice will remain on our schedule. Everybody is right that if it's not our favorite it's only 1.5 days. I think I will just not plan anything in particular to do and just wander the city, relax, and eat.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm also not a big fan of Venice. I don't find it particularly romantic (other than evenings spent on Piazza San Marco listening to the orchestras). The fact that you will spend many hours getting there and only have 1.5 days for this stop means you'd hardly get your bearings and a sense of the place before leaving. Save it for another trip when you can spend more time there.

I'd look into flying from Bologna to Munich rather than sitting so many hours on a train.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM

I have been in Italy many times and love it more after each visit, however,Venice is my least favorite city in Italy. In MHO, if you are in your honeymoon and set aside 5 days for Rome, I would use two days out of that to visit Amalfi Coast instead, 3 days in Rome would be enough. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Your plan to wander the city is perfect. I would spend the rest of my living days doing exactly this, but then I'd be divorced and broke. Venice is incredible and you won't regret it.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Hi Lindy, Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. Looks like you've made a choice, but for what it's worth, while Venice is magical, to me and lots of others, obviously, I would say go to Bolongna. If you have to 'get excited' about a place, then it's probably better to go with your gut and choose the destination that most appeals to you. Just my two cents. Whatever you do I'm sure you and your future hubby will be thrilled just to share these new experiences together. Happy Travels!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I absolutely love Venice, but I wouldn't go for just 1.5 days, especially if your gut is telling you not to. Go to Bologna. It's cheaper and has lots better food.

Save Venice for sometime when you can visit it in the late fall, winter, or early spring, when the crowds are relatively thin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -