Reload this Page >

Can't buy in the US

Search

Can't buy in the US

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Philip

Can't buy in the US

Everytime I bring back some special food item from Europe, it seems that someone else has been able to buy it in the U.S. Examples: Scottish shortbread, Lindt chocolate, Ritter chocolate, etc. <BR> <BR>I'm interested in knowing what all of you buy in Europe that can't be bought in the U.S. (doesn't have to be limited to food items). I hope this will help me in the future for gift ideas. Thanks.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:05 AM
A.M.

The same perfumes that are sold in North America have different compositions in Europe. I like to buy perfume (in France) leather goods (in Italy) and as interesting fun gifts I buy tubes of mayonaise and other condiments for friends. <BR>A.M.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:08 AM
s.fowler

You can get a variety of paprikas in any Hungarian grocery store at a great price!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Linda

This subject is so dependent on the region in which you live. For instance, I can readily buy Scottish shortbread and Ritter chocolate. I can also find many of the other items I purchased in Europe. But I can't find any real mozzarella di bufula here at all. They can in other cities, like New York. However, my son and daughter-in-law live in North Dakota. During their visit to England they fell in love with salt-and-vinegar crisps (potato chips). They cannot find them where they live, but I can. So occasionally I buy a box where I live and send them thru the mail. (I know, the crisps are broken into smaller pieces, but they don't seem to mind.) One thing I have not been able to find anywhere is real Cadbury chocolate bars. It seems all the stuff made for export is slightly different--just enough different to make me not want to buy it.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:09 AM
P.S.

Raw milk soft cheeses. Have to eat them on the plane though .

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Tim

Without a doubt, the two best things for me are Rowntree's Fruit Gums and Cadbury's chocolate. You can buy them at various stores online and certain stores in the US, but they're much cheaper and more likely fresher in the UK!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Marc David Miller

Formal capes. Yes, it is an odd piece of clothing, but I wanted one for years and bought one in Spain last year at Capas Sesena <BR> <BR>www.sesena.com <BR> <BR>Great with a tuxedo!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 11:55 AM
expat

Cadbury's chocolate is made under licence by Hershey in the USA. It is not the same as the English equivalent and IMHO is not nearly as nice.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Mary

Hi Phillip, Probably most of the stuff I bring home from Europe and the Middle East can be purchased in the US. But then I live in Kansas, and even though we have a Dean and Delucas, the pickings are slim. I'll tell you though, I look around my house and see the tapestry pillows from France, the paintings I bought at Piazza Navonna, the glass bowl from Turkey, not to mention the carpet, candlesticks from Isreal, bed linen from London and many other mementos, some souvenir quality, some much better. Anyway, I don't care that I could maybe buy it here, the memories my purchases evoke are priceless-for me. And another thing, when my friends bring me a leather glass case from Florence or a kilim change purse from Turkey, everytime I use it I think of how thoughtful of them to think of me.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 03:43 PM
peter

wild boar sauce for pasta and grappa of excellent quality

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 03:53 PM
mimi taylor

Hello, Philip, I have the same problem. I sent the local maple syrop one Christmas and found out later, the two different families hated it. Peanut butter fared better. This year I askedlease what would you like, and what a surprise-scotch, chivas regal. Hey, that is very simple shopping for me.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 03:58 PM
kimbuys

Coffee from Fauchon and Mustard from the Maille boutique in Paris. Tea from Harrods', London. And don't even get me started about the $4 I save on Chanel cosmetics in Paris vs. here!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Laura

Hi kimbuys....I agree...tea from Harrod's...their English Breakfast tea is so delicious!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi Marc <BR> <BR>regarding your cape... might I ask how much cheaper it may have been over in Spain? It appears to be rather expensive to order over the internet... <BR> <BR>might give me another reason to go to Spain (beyond the OBVIOUS reasons to go to Spain that is... <BR> <BR>thanks! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Marc David Miller

Regarding Capas Sesena, <BR> <BR>The price was approximately the same over the Internet vs. at their store (no VAT over internet, although you can get it refunded). The internet option is new, although they have been taking mail orders for it for many years (I first heard of Capas Sesena in an article in The New York Times in 1985--same sales staff still works there).

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Beth Anderson

thank you Marc <BR> <BR>oy yoy yoy. <BR> <BR>tres cher, but oh so beautiful... I shall have to think on it. I do need a winter coat again this year after all... <BR> <BR>thanks for the tip! <BR> <BR>Beth <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:55 PM
elvira

Unusual paper - stationery (hey, I found GOLD envelopes in Paris); handmade papers, notebooks, scrapbooks (similar to ones in the U.S., but just not the same); stickers; rubber stamps <BR> <BR>Yarn, fabric, needelpoint scrims, needlework kits <BR> <BR>Christmas cards <BR> <BR>Jigsaw puzzles <BR> <BR>Souvenir pens (the kind with a clear top, cheesy scenery, and something that moves back and forth like a boat or a horsedrawn carriage) and snowglobes (the dumber looking, the better) <BR> <BR>Decorating and cooking magazines and books; hot-off-the-presses English mystery novels (from P.D. James and such) in London, looong before they show up in the U.S.; Michelin maps and guidebooks a LOT cheaper <BR> <BR>Olive oil, cookies, Jamaica Blue coffee, odd eaux de vie and liqueurs (like the chestnut stuff I bought in Nontron and the kitron in Naxos), Badoit <BR> <BR>Postage stamps - cheap "stickers" for the scrapbook

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Jim

Tim-you're worried about fruit gums' freshness? <BR> <BR>You can buy any book released in the UK through amazon.co.uk. You have to pay shipping, of course, but it's a lot cheaper than a flight.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:06 AM
ALW

Ricore from France -- can't even find it on-line or in Canada. <BR> <BR>Johnson & Johnson's pH 7.5 bath foam! And the "big ball" Sure deoderant. Both from England. <BR> <BR>Mueller's Thick & Creamy yogurt (yogurt with 5% real cream...ooooooohhh...better than ice cream!) from England. <BR> <BR>Dime bars (can occasionally find in the US, but not often) from England (etc.). <BR> <BR>Cheese-flavored Quavers from England. <BR> <BR>Real chocolate mix (Banania, etc.) from France. <BR> <BR>Good loose tea from England (can again be found in US, but not as easily). <BR> <BR>Some of those potato cakes they serve at the Christmas Markets in Germany (the ones in Nuremburg were best...). <BR> <BR>Fruit desserts from all of Europe. <BR> <BR>Chips with (real) garlic mayonnaise -- the g.m. one finds in the States is distinctly subpar -- from England. <BR> <BR>Galaxy bars/Minstrels from England. Oh, and the big chocolate Easter eggs (with themes [like Galaxy or After Eight or Flake...]!). <BR> <BR>Light and delicate breakfast pastries from France (some days I'd kill for a fluffy pain au chocolate...). <BR> <BR>And, most important, REAL ALES!!! From England -- where else! <BR> <BR>Ok, I got a little carried away -- some of this stuff you can't transport back to the US. But it's all worth trying whilst you're over there!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:25 AM
elaine

Harrod's tea lovers: <BR>Have you tried looking at the Harrod's website? <BR>I know there are web sites which sell <BR>Harrod's teas--I've seen them somewhere. <BR>Fortnum's teas also. <BR> <BR>Now if only there were a Cadbury shop on line. Godiva chocolate is different <BR>(better) in Europe as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -